Coventry, Bath, Stonehenge


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England
January 29th 2005
Published: January 29th 2005
Edit Blog Post

It was a wildly busy last 2 days.
We left Friday morning and went to Coventry Cathedral, then stopped by Warwick Castle, and then to Bath for the night. Saturday we got a tour of Bath (the town) and then got to check out the Roman Baths. Back in the bus, stop in Stonehenge, and then back to Cambridge.

Coventry: The ruins of the cathedral are gorgeous. The walls were stone and the roof was wooden, so when they were bombed in WWII, the roof burned and the walls remained. When the roof burned two beams fell into a cross (the charred cross now in the church), and the midieval roofing nails were recovered & put into a cross also, and thus began the cross of nails ministry for reconciliation. VU's chapel was kinda modeled after the new Coventry Cathedral, which was cool, but I was more fascinated with the ruins. The tour guide told us about an old man he met a couple of years ago who said he was terrified to come back. Turns out he had been there 60 years ago, the day of the bombings -- he was one of the German pilots dropping the bombs.

Warwick Castle: Amazing! They refurbished the castle the way it used to be, all the old family portraits, and even wax figures (well, I don't know if they were actually wax; but they looked real & pretty creepy). It was built on the Avon, which made for some awesome views along with the 530 stairs we climbed to get to the towers.

Bath: Cute town, much bigger than I thought it would be. We got there Friday night in time to eat dinner at the most amazing Thai restaurant, and then to the Litten Tree Freehouse for drinks, where we ended up meeting a guy from ECU. Saturday morning we got a tour of Bath - nothing too amazing about the tour, but the views of town were cool. We got a tour of the Roman Baths - I wasn't really expecting murky green water, but it was pretty warm, so I guess that served its purpose (minus thinking bath = clean).

Stonehenge: Amazing huge rocks! Its a little odd that is pretty much in the intersection of two highways, surrounded by sheep pastures. The one random thing that I did learn was that Stonehenge could be used as a calendar, since every month the sun would shine through a different arch. The pictures say it better than I do...


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Warwick BridgeWarwick Bridge
Warwick Bridge

Remains of a bridge in the Avon
Humes & HansensHumes & Hansens
Humes & Hansens

Greg and Charley Hume & Carter and Michelle Hansen. Greg is the current resident director, and the Hansens came to learn the ropes since they will be here in the fall.
knight guy...knight guy...
knight guy...

Lorna and I with a knight in Warwick Castle
The girlsThe girls
The girls

Kelly, Sarah, Joan, me & Lorna in front of the Roman Baths


Tot: 0.218s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0462s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb