Five must-attend events in England in August 2018


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England
July 9th 2018
Published: July 9th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Brighton Pride






3–5 August 2018

Join the biggest Pride festival in the UK! Attitude Magazine called it “historic, inspired and unparalleled” for a reason. Brighton Pride Festival is a glaring and genuinely inclusive celebration in Preston Park. Over the years, the Festival has enjoyed incredible performances by international stars like Ruby Rose, Pet Shop Boys, Sister Sledge, Years and Years, Fatboy Slim, Carly Rae Jepsen, Paloma Faith, The Human League, Boy George, Ms Dynamite Alison Moyet, and many others. It was recognised as the most popular LGBT event in the country that cherishes everything that is wonderful about diverse life in Brighton and Hove. Celebration with fundraising in its core gathers crowds from around the world. The brightest event is the Parade itself when the streets become a blend of rainbow colours, great to take part in or to watch.




Bristol International Balloon Fiesta








9–12 Aug 2018

The Bristol Balloon Fiesta is the largest annual gathering of hot air balloons in Europe, with about 150 Hot Air Balloons from around the world. The Fiesta is a sight that can only be experienced only in Bristol. Four days in August, green fields of the Ashton Court estate are filled with fantastic views of hot air balloons up the sky. Besides the hot air balloons, visitors enjoy lots of great trade stalls, entertainment and fairground rides. Programme differs every day, offering hot air balloon rides, Fiesta Band Stand by Jelli Records, competitions, memorable nightglows and firework finales. It’s a free entry event, so everyone can join! You will have to pay for the balloon rides, though. Bristol International Balloon Fiesta is celebrating the 40th Anniversary in 2018, so enter this special occasion and let your hot air balloon dreams come true!



Reading & Leeds Festivals










24–26 August 2018

Go to Little John’s Farm in Reading or Bramham Park in Leeds for a weekend full of quality music at the Reading and Leeds Festivals. This annual rock party sees crowds of music fans pack out two towns for this duo festivals. Festivals boast some of the biggest names in the music industry and showcase the hottest acts across eight stages. This year headliners are Fall Out Boy, Kings of Leon, and Kendrick Lamar alongside with many other big names. Rock the last summer weekend!




Notting Hill Carnival










25–27 August 2018

The Notting Hill Carnival is a great annual event taking place in London since mid-1960’s on the streets of Notting Hill. Despite the name, it does not belong to the global Carnival season preceding Easter Lent. It is run by the British West Indian community. Celebrations attract around 1 million people annually (last year number reached about 2 million people!), making it one of the largest street festivals in the world. In 2006, it was voted onto the list of England’s icons. The annual carnival is a vivid and thrilling spectacle that celebrates London's rich and varied multicultural scene. This is the best way to experience London's Caribbean culture and traditions. Three days bring a fantastic parade, live music including salsa and reggae, static sound systems, steel bands and tonnes of delicious Caribbean food.

The Carnival kicks off on Saturday night with Panorama—steel band music, street food, and Caribbean style entertainment. Sunday morning brings J’Ouvert, the early morning carnival opening where participant march covered in mud and colourful paint. Sunday afternoon is all about Children’s parade, delicious food, and family fun. Monday is the Grand Finale day with colourful dancers, mobile sound systems, and steels bands. The carnival happens on London streets around Notting Hill, Westbourne Grove, Ladbroke Grove, Kensal Road, and Westbourne Park.




Bournemouth Air Festival




30 August–2nd September 2018

Witness the UK's biggest air festival in Bournemouth!



Internationally renowned Bournemouth Air Festival has amused over 9.2 million spectators since 2008. This three-day festival brings together the thrill of gravity-defying displays up in the air and a range of fun activities on the ground. Here you will see aircraft from the Royal Air Force and the Royal Navy alongside the civil aviation displays. The Air Festival is free to attend, but you can pre-book a spot at the front row VIP seating area with bar and facilities, right on the beach near the central flight line, prices ranging from £15 to £120.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.323s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0508s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb