Modern Malaria Treatments that Every Traveller Should Know About


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England
April 12th 2018
Published: April 12th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Malaria is a harmful disease which gets transmitted by viruses borne by mosquitoes during mosquito bites. As of now, there are no proper medical vaccines for malaria, but travellers going to malaria-prone areas should try to avoid the infection by taking proper preventive methods like mosquito repellents and medicines. This article will illustrate to you some preventive methods which travellers should take when they travel to malaria-prone areas.

Malaria takes around a few days to develop after someone gets infected with a virus-carrying mosquito's bite. So, in case you suddenly get an unexplained fever when you are travelling, or sometime after your return from your trip, then you should consider taking prompt medical guidance. Tell your doctor about your travelling history including the malaria prophylaxis medication that you had taken.

The risks of malaria

The risks of malaria in certain regions of the world are dependent on various factors like the population levels of mosquitoes, the condition of the weather and also what the rate of infection on the local population. Hence, travellers should take advice from professional doctors who have got knowledge about the risks of contracting malaria in the places you are going to.

The preventive methods should be taken either before and during or after the trip is over. The medications should be taken strictly according to a doctor’s prescription.

1. Atovaquone (Malarone)

This medicine should be taken daily and at the same time every day. You should start taking medicine at least 1 or 2 days before travelling to the malaria-prone area and continue taking it every day when you are in the concerned area and then, finally, for seven days after you finally leave that region. Some side effects which you can experience are nausea, vomiting, headaches and little abdominal pain.

2. Mefloquine (Lariam)

Take this medication only when you are travelling to places where the mosquitoes are not resistant to Mefloquine. Lariam should be taken once only every week. You should continue to take medicine once every week when you are in the malaria-prone area and then at least a month after you leave that region. Lariam is not associated with any serious adverse side effects at prophylactic doses. Some reported side effects are headaches, insomnia, depression, anxieties, dizziness, and abnormal dreams.

3. Doxycycline

This should be taken daily, and ideally, it should be taken with some food. Do not take it just before you go to bed. Start taking doxycycline at least two days before travelling to the malaria-prone area. It should be taken continuously for at least a month after you leave the area. Doxycycline can cause some photosensitivity which can be avoided by using sunscreens when you go out. You can get doxycycline medication at https://www.ukmeds.co.uk/treatments/anti-malaria/doxycycline/.

Conclusion

There are lots of medications widely available which can be instrumental in preventing malaria. A lot of these medicines are effective only in certain specific destinations because they depend on the local patterns of malaria resistance. These medications have certain advantages, but they can also have some side effects. Pregnant women and children need to have special considerations.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.167s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0844s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb