At Stonehenge


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Wiltshire » Stonehenge
October 20th 2009
Published: April 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Love at StonehengeLove at StonehengeLove at Stonehenge

:-) Love in the air
Stonehenge - its exactly like the pictures. If you've seen it on the Internet, you've seen it in person. What was wonderful was the drive from London to Stonehenge. It takes you across lush green fields and all you can see is occasional cows and sheeps grazing. I was really excited about being at Stonehenge after all that stuff I'd read on the Internet.

Stonehenge is a "henge monument" meaning that it consists of menhirs or the large rocks in a circular formation. Archaeologists believe the standing stones were erected around 2200 BC and the surrounding circular earth bank and ditch, which constitute the earliest phase of the monument, have been dated to about 3100 BC. There are a series of standing stones, earth, and timber in a decorative form remodeled. Each stone is in different style. A horseshoe plan of five trilithons, two vertical stones are supporting an immense lintel, and the height of the stone is 13.5 feet. Each stone weighs around 45 tons.

After all the excitement of waking up at 6 am to catch the bus on time, I was disappointed. All it was is these large rocks and there was a walking track which
Path Path Path

The path around Stonehenge
you had to stick to, so you could not even get a close look at the stones. Anyway, just clicked a couple of pics and took a pic of a couple.

Headed to grab a bite at the only foodstall for miles and even that turned to be a disaster. I dint know anyone could spoil a cappuccino and a ham and cheese sandwich, but the cafe guy managed to even do that successfully. My only solace was the souvenir shop next door and since bad luck runs into sets of three - no prizes for guessing - the shop was over crowded and everything was priced excessively. The same souvenirs at London are at one-fourth the price.

In all, wasted half a day being here and wiser, none the less.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Obelix Obelix
Obelix

Main rock here
11
1

As close as you can get
On our way to StonehengeOn our way to Stonehenge
On our way to Stonehenge

The beautiful view on our way to Stonehenge


Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0506s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb