As I was going to St Ives, I met a man with 40 wives.


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Wiltshire » Stonehenge
September 12th 2009
Published: September 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Mystical Stonehenge at 2pm.Mystical Stonehenge at 2pm.Mystical Stonehenge at 2pm.

A woman was walking behind us going ' yeah, its really really amazing cos the shadows appear in different directions depending on which way the sun shines'. What a Tube.
Hullo! Before I say anything else I would just like to mention that we can't say Stonehenge without adopting the accent and tone of voice used in Spinal Tap. For those of you in the know - best scene ever is the 12 inch Stonhenge lowered behind the band while they sing Stonehenge on stage. Hilarious!

Anyway, so we are on our holidays in St Ives in Cornwall at the very far South West corner of the UK. Its a mega long drive from Glasgow so we decided to take two days to do it and make a few stops.

First day we stopped near Birmingham at Drayton Manor theme park where they have a special kids area dedicated to Thomas the Tank Engine. Beth likes Thomas and she really enjoyed her wee day out there. We stayed in Ramada Jarvis Hotel in Sutton Coalfield and it was excellent. For £69 we got a huge family suite with two bedrooms and breakfast was included. We also received complimentary use of all the sports facilities and we were able to go swimming with small chunks (Beth) and keep her occupied for a few hours.

Second day we drove all
Wee Beth at Stonehenge.Wee Beth at Stonehenge.Wee Beth at Stonehenge.

She point blank refuses to look at the camera so we end up jumping about like monkeys trying to get her to look at us while we take photos of her.
the way down to Bournemouth on the South coast of England to visit our gorgeous friend Johnnie and his lovely partner Simon. On the way we stopped at a place called Marlborough - a little market town in Wiltshire, and then took a slight detour past Stonehenge. We were so excited as Stonehenge has been on our LIST for yonks and we just haven't ever got round to going. Here's a little link to Stonehenge information page. They write the info better than me - its half nine on Sat night and I've had a glass of wine so I would prob write a lot of rubbish anyway.

Stonehenge Information

Forgot to take any photos at Johnnies which is a shame. Went to Bournemouth beach at Boscombe on Sat morning and it was lovely and quiet - so traditional looking too with lots of tiny beach huts in various bright colours lined up beyond the sand. Johnnie made us an amazing Thai curry and Simon entertained us with 3 hours of 80s music where we had to guess the artist. Blast from the past - Shaz loved it and got 99%!o(MISSING)f all bands and song titles correct. Hurrah!! The guys have got Kate Bush Hounds of Love as doorbell tune. LOVED it. Thanks for having us guys - we'll be back very soon!

The weather looks set to be good for the week here in Cornwall and we have a few places we want to visit - not least Padstow where we plan to eat ten portions of fish and chips at Rick Steins chippy! Other things we are thinking about doing:

Eden Project
Tate St Ives
Penzance
Tintagel
St Michael's Mount
Cardiff (on way home)
Gloucester (on way home)
Bath (on way home)


See you again before the weeks out,
Shaz, Al & Betharoony. xxxx





Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Alan and Beth ride on Thomas the Tank Engine.Alan and Beth ride on Thomas the Tank Engine.
Alan and Beth ride on Thomas the Tank Engine.

Since we went to Thomas Tank Engine World at Drayton Manor I have had the theme tune in my head. It's driving me bananas.
On Harold the Helicopter.On Harold the Helicopter.
On Harold the Helicopter.

We have been trying to teach Beth to do 'thumbs up' but she prefers to point her fingers up instead. Is super cute.
Arriving at Drayton Manor.Arriving at Drayton Manor.
Arriving at Drayton Manor.

I love this outfit on our kid. I think she looks like a little Stone Roses dude.


14th September 2009

"Since we went to Thomas Tank Engine World at Drayton Manor I have had the theme tune in my head. It's driving me bananas." Aye: http://andrewhammel.typepad.com/german_joys/2005/04/german_word_of__1.html "where the dewdrops cry, and the cats meow...."
14th September 2009

Hi there. Your blog is so great. Really enjoyed reading it. I'm a travel writer and always love to hear what everyone else has to say about a place. What sort of guides are you using? If you don't mind me asking. Happy travels! t
14th September 2009

Ohrwurm.
Gary - you should have your own internet search company. How you come up with this stuff? Brill. Shaz. xxx
23rd June 2010

Great Blog!
I have always wanted to visit Stonehenge.

Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0621s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb