A Henge Like No Other...


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Wiltshire » Stonehenge
July 5th 2009
Published: July 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Hi everyone!

Today we got up and headed into Salisbury to see the cathedral there and then made our way to Stonehenge. These were probably my favorite places on the trip so far. The Salisbury Cathedral is really incredible. The inside is absolutely stunning. The photos really don't do it justice. It's also home to a copy of the Magna Carta (which I of course couldn't take any photos of).

Salisbury is a really lovely place. On the tour bus on the way to Stonehenge we learned that it was not bombed by the Germans during WWII because the pilots used the cathedral as a marker when they were flying over the countryside. The medieval history is very much intact there. Many of the homes have thatched roofs which I had never seen before. On our drive to Salisbury, Trish (our host) was telling us that thatched roofs must be replaced often and are expensive to keep. However, if you live in a thatched home, you must often keep it newly thatched in the interest of historical preservation.

It goes with out saying that Stonehenge is remarkable. Fun fact: Stonehenge actually predates the druids. Salisbury Plain (where Stonehenge is located) is truly breathtaking. Of course the size and mystery of the site are impressive but it's really the area around it that makes it special.

We're all having a great time. M.I.T. is leaving tomorrow and John will stay here with us. We're planning on taking the train to London in the morning. Wish us luck! Miss you all!


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



5th July 2009

Not Yacking!
Just to let yo know, that is NOT a cell phone to my ear! I am listening to a recorded guide of Stonehendge. How many of you thought of the movie, "Spinal Tap" when you saw the Stonehendge pictures?
7th July 2009

More outstanding pics
These are so fun. Get a real sense of the place. Thanks!!

Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0479s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb