Visiting The Whitehorse


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Wiltshire » Salisbury
June 11th 2009
Published: July 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

We managed to get up a bit earlier this morning with our plan to visit the site of Whitehorse, a massive horse shape carved out of the chalk cliff side not far from here. On our way, we stopped at the town of Wantage to do some posting of stuff. In our first attempt to mail stuff home, our large 5 kg box was to come to a whopping $220 to mail. We repacked it into smaller boxed and were able to mail home the same stuff for only about $60 which was a vast improvement.

After mailings, we walked over to the Wantage Museum where we watched a short film on the area including information on The Whitehorse, our next stop. The museum also gave a good background on the development of the Wantage area, including how the area changed with the industrial revolution.

After buying the makings of lunch, we drove off to The Whitehorse. We had lunch on the hillside, before making our way across the wind swept hillside to the area where the horse was. Sheep graced nearby almost casually around the site.

Up close, it is difficult to see the whole shape of the horse, which is huge. Below the horse is a hill with no grass on top, known as Dragon Hill. The legend is that Saint George slayed a dragon there and that no grass will grow on the spot where the blood was spilled.

Joshua and Benjamin seemed to enjoy running down the hillside, though the high blowing grass. A bit further back, you could see the whole shape of the horse better, though it would probably be best seen from the air.

Back in Brightwalton, Barbara's granddaughter (Celia's daughter) Kate came over. I thought it was quite brave and mature of her to come all to the way over and visit with a family she had never met. She has recently finished at Cambridge University where we are heading tomorrow and was able to give us some good ideas on things to do there.

Barbara's American friend Gail joined us for dinner before heading off to meditation with Babara. Kate stayed a while longer to talk with us which was quite nice of her.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0886s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb