October trip to Marlborough and surrounds


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Wiltshire » Marlborough
October 11th 2008
Published: October 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Ashley ParkingAshley ParkingAshley Parking

Outside the Sun Inn, Marlborough
We headed out from home at 18:00 Friday. The M4 was totally blocked. We left at Reading and headed up the A4, making Marlborough at around 9:15. We were later told that shortly after we got off the M4 the police closed it. Having missed dinner at the Sun Inn we headed out for Italian food. I had a stinking cold. Back in the room, discovered I had bought the recharger for the Eee but not the bit that adapts it for use with UK plugs.

Today, after an excellent breakfast, we headed for Savernake Forest which is truly spectacular. We just wandered around, looking at ancient oaks and beeches. Some of the more ancient oaks have names and others do not. It was warm and sunny and still. We hardly saw anyone. I would highly recommend the forest as a place to walk. It is not very big, but it's very ancient and very, very beautiful. The forest is heavily dominated by oak and beech, some of the beech have got to be really huge.

Then we went riding, initially to Burbage were as per the plan we found a pub to get some coffee. Then we headed
White Road OakWhite Road OakWhite Road Oak

One of the named trees from Savernake Forest
towards Avebury via Hackpen Hill. Avebury was was crowded, well, relatively crowded. It's been many years now since Avebury was free of tourists, but they do tend to be fairly 'alternative'. The Red Lion there seems to have almost become a biker pub. Not surprising since it is set in some of the best riding in the country. Had a little wander then headed back via West Kennet Long Barrow (about which I have my own theories).

Back to the hotel for a shower (now refurbished, the showers are fantastic!) and now typing this whilst Ashley watches the second half of the England match and savours their fine ales. The Sun Inn in Marlborough really is a good and very friendly place to stay, it has 4 well appointed rooms, excellent food and equally excellent ales.

The following morning was foggy, it only slowly clearing. Heading back towards Reading the trees appeared out of the mist in interesting and pretty ways, not really the best riding conditions but the visibility was not too bad. From Reading back to London the mist cleared and the sun came out. We therefore got an excellent view of the M4.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Hackpen HillHackpen Hill
Hackpen Hill

Everyone stops here to take photos. There is a white horse on the hillside beneath.
Ashley and Silbury HillAshley and Silbury Hill
Ashley and Silbury Hill

I did not capture the entire bike.
Me at the BarrowMe at the Barrow
Me at the Barrow

This is West Kennet Long Barrow


Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0728s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb