Bobbing in Bath


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Wiltshire » Bradford-on-Avon
September 13th 2016
Published: September 13th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Canal beautyCanal beautyCanal beauty

Believe it or not canal boat do go through there
Canal boat trip



Join us for a canal boat trip they said. It'll be fun, they said. Not if you like your privacy and don't want to be living in confined quarters. You might have visions of sitting with your feet up while sipping a glass of wine or ale, drifting gently down a stretch of crystal clear water enjoying the sights along the edge of the canals, sounds perfect.



You're likely to be kept busy hopping on and off boats and running from port to starboard. Yes, OK, the distance between the two sides are only about a meter and a half apart. That's the interior and the exterior width is all of 2 meters wide. But you would develop those biceps and triceps to look like Popeye's while winding the windlass to open and close the locks.



So who are we to ignore a challenge like that?



Well, quarters are very close on the boat with not much privacy, but we're OK with that, after all we're with family. We all have to pitch in to do our bit, although I suspect Karen and Clive are doing more than their fair share.



We set off from Bradford on Avon and headed for Bath. We were gently eased into the life of canal boating by only going through a single lock on the first day and between Clive and Paul, they steered our 21 meter long boat through a few ninety degree sections. Not an easy feat because the canals are quite narrow in places.



The second day at Bath we went through about six locks in short succession, so got plenty of practice, except Paul has a gammy back, which isn't good although he is putting on a brave face.

We stayed in Bath a bit longer to send Paul off for physio and a more expert opinion to see if he needed any further medical assistance. Will see if we manage to get further than Bath.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



15th September 2016

Bon bobbing voyage ;-)
It sounds more like hop scotch to me...enjoy! It looks ama-zing...and I'm extremely jealous. Waiting in anticipation.

Tot: 0.369s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 22; qc: 89; dbt: 0.13s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb