Avebury, then on to Salisbury


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Wiltshire » Avebury
May 12th 2016
Published: August 2nd 2016
Edit Blog Post

Avebury Stone Circle was recommended by Bryson as a lesser visited stone formation than Stonehenge. It is a World Heritage Site. It started in the Bronze Age, and includes a 16th century manor house, and 17th century threshing barns. A small community is within the perimeter of the stone circle.

It's fun to observe the white horses on the hillsides from afar. Only the Uffington white horse is of certain prehistoric origin, being some three thousand years old. Most of the others date from the last three hundred years or so, and the origins of some are impossible to establish with any certainty. They are accommplished by scraping away a thin layer of soil to exposed the chalk substrate.

Stopped for a beer and while sitting on the deck, a whiteheaded bird flew in the tree above me...but it looked like a Blackbird, (English thrush which looks like our Robin, but black). A quick Google found it was a rare partial albino blackbird.

Salisbury Cathedral has always been my favorite, so I looked forward to visiting it again, Ruth and I were there in early '90s and a lot was concealed with scaffolding. We went by the cathedral, but went back the next morning.

The Salisbury YHA had closed so we ended up staying at a YHA affiliate Cholderton, and Charlies Farm. The facility included team building activities and a Rare Breeds Survival Trust site.



Cholderton YHA http://www.choldertonyouthhostel.co.uk/

http://choldertoncharliesfarm.com/


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.179s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0935s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb