York for a girls weekend


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » West Yorkshire
December 22nd 2012
Published: January 3rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

The beautiful city of York won the lottery to host the girls weekend. Grovley! We got there by an early trip on the train from the other company (note to self – always check the train company name on tickets as they all look the same – but by sweet smiles and polite Australian we saved ourselves another fare of £98 each).

We checked into our cute B&B just outside the city wall, and then wandered the cobbled streets of York. The banks of the river had broken so the only way to walk to town was via the road. The B&B proprietor suggested that we had to go the Betty’s tea shop, but in fact there were two Betty’s in York and either would be wonderful. Alex must have seen the pattern.

Betty’s was very nice, as was the Christmas market fudge and the old pub for dinner. Sunday dawned with blue skies and after and English breakfast we walked the walls, wandered the shambles and went to matins in York Minister to hear an all male choir. The trip was capped by a night time ghost tour in the shambles. With a long history, industrial base and dark, wet climate there were lots of stories told by the perfect ghost story teller – tall with booming voice, wearing top hat and tails. We certainly entertained the posh restaurant patrons by all making scary faces in the window.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.178s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 59; dbt: 0.1059s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb