A Full day!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » West Yorkshire » Pontefract
July 10th 2014
Published: July 13th 2014
Edit Blog Post

We started the day setting out to explore the castle ruins of Pontefract. We were greeted by a spectacular church that was damaged, but has a new church nested inside.

The castle remnants hinted at the previous impressiveness of the castle that was there. It was destroyed by parliamentary decree in the 1600's. The signs and plaques located around the grounds gave a good idea of the layout and structure of the castle.

Next, we arrived in the quaint town of Bakewell. After taking in the ambiance of the downtown, we finally sat down to have tea in England. The tea was very fine and the accompanying Bakewell Pudding was absolutely delicious (Bakewell pudding is ONLY available within 15 miles of Bakewell -- Oh well )

On the return journey from Bakewell we stopped in to see the Queen at Chatsworth House. The Queen was quite busy and we didn't actually see her, but we think her assistants just got their signals crossed. At any rate, we continued to survey the grounds and noted that this was where the Pride and Prejudice movie was set.

In the evening, we met Friends at the Cosmo restaurant in Derby. We had a lovely evening and shared many stories (the food was very good too).

The drive home on the unlit country roads was challenging and led us back to the hotel in Hathersage for a much needed nights rest.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.201s; Tpl: 0.07s; cc: 14; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0701s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb