Remembering Sacrifices


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » West Yorkshire » Leeds
July 11th 2005
Published: July 13th 2005
Edit Blog Post

The White Cliffs of Dover …a symbol of home for so many British soldiers who fought to protect England’s freedom during WWII. Today, July 10 2005 was Veterans day …a time to remember the sacrifices of the brave men and women of WWII. In the face of terrorist’s atrocities, the patriotic British rose above their fears today to come in vast numbers and honor the sacrifices of their veterans. A fitting tribute!

On July 7th we were on our way to London from Paris when we heard on the car radio of the tragic bombings. We boarded the ferry to cross the English Channel unsure of what might be happening. Then the announcement came, a warning that travel into London was not advised. As the ferry approached the shores of England we could see the beautiful white cliffs of Dover. We decided to stay the evening near the ferry docking in Folkestone. We found a wonderful historic bed & breakfast called Hotel Relish to spend our first evening in the UK. After settling in we turned on the television and began to see the tragic scenes unfolding in London. Memories of 9/11 came flooding into our minds. The heartbreak of useless bloodshed was all too familiar. Sure our plans would have to change, but it seemed a very small inconvenience in comparison to what the people of London were enduring. Our deepest sympathy and prayers go out for those who lost loved ones and the injured.

We left Folkestone the next day and drove along the southern coast. We passed through several beautiful towns including Brighton where we stopped for lunch. Beautiful coastal Brighton is filled with interesting buildings and shops. We enjoyed a stroll along the village square. Our next stop was Stonehenge…no it really isn’t just a bunch of rocks in the middle of a field. We took the audio tour and learned about the myths, legends and the theories of how they got there. Bottom line… no one know for sure. Some of our favorites were the one about the devil putting them there or maybe aliens. Most believable… ancient people placed the rocks in “solar placement” formations as a place of worship. Not as hard to believe after seeing the temples and ruins in Israel and Egypt.

In the afternoon we drove farther north to Bath. Named for the famous Roman bath houses in town. Once more we fortunately found a beautiful bed & breakfast called the Country Inn. Just across the street was a 500 year old church. That evening we walked into Bath, at our host’s suggestion to eat dinner at a British Pub…great food at a reasonable price. Looks like we might have more pub meals!

We are now in Leeds, north of London. You may remember we met a lovely British couple while on tour in Egypt. Our new friends, Peter and Shirley live in Leeds. We thoroughly enjoyed having dinner with them at the Brown Cow. (a pub near our hotel) It was great to reminisce about the Egyptian tour. We feel very thankful to have met friends like Peter and Shirley, and feel as if we have known them for years. Hopefully they will come to Florida one day, so we can take them to eat some Floridian food! Maybe some Gator …Tastes like chicken… Right ?

Stay tuned for more about France and Scotland







Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Waiting for the Bride and GroomWaiting for the Bride and Groom
Waiting for the Bride and Groom

At our hotel in Leeds this classic was for some happy couple who had just GOT HITCHED...opps not proper English...ey?


11th July 2005

Blond Yoko
Hey, love the Yoko Ono sunglasses and the photos are all great. My favorite this sitting--Stonehenge at dusk. The beautiful Bath Church reminds me of the chimes on a pipe organ. Love and hugs--Carmen

Tot: 0.236s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 20; qc: 86; dbt: 0.1382s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb