The Wycoller Panopticon Walk


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » West Yorkshire » Haworth
July 12th 2011
Published: July 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Today we went rambling over the old Wycoller Estate. This was a destination that I discovered on the Internet after watching an episode of 'Grand Designs' where they undertook a barn conversion. During the show they visited the barn restoration at Wycoller and, when I Googled it, I discovered that we would be in the area when we visited Haworth. I let Janet know about it and between her and her Aunty Kathleen we ended up with a wealth of information to guide us.

We started the walk at Pendle's Panopticon. This is a modernistic structure that represents a molecule. In its sides are rounded apertures from which atoms have supposedly tumbled to their fate in the peaty waters of Wycoller Beck far below!!? There is supposed to be one atom (or maybe just a stainless steel sphere?) remaining in the panopticon but, on our arrival we found that it too had tumbled from the molecule ... or maybe it was pushed?? We could see it resting against a fence down below!!

The portholes in the side of the molecule frame views of the local countryside, including Colne Village and Pendle Hill and, when the sphere is in place, it reflects the views in miniature. Unfortunately we were not able to appreciate the panoptical qualities of the artist's design!!

From the panopticon we walked over the sheep pastures past Foster's Leap (a rocky bluff) and Foster's Leap Farm to the footbridge over the stream next to the 18th century Parson Lee Farm. From here we walked along a track surrounded by European Larch and Common Beech to 'Water Meetings' where two unnamed tributaries unite to form Wycoller Beck. As we strolled along Wycoller Beck we passed the prehistoric Clam Bridge and the Copy House Bridge before walking through the willow tunnel on our way to the Aisled Barn Visitor Centre (the restored barn shown on Grand Designs) and the remains of Wycoller Hall (widely believed to be the inspiration for Ferndeen Manor in 'Jane Eyre'😉.

We grabbed a bite to eat at the Wycoller Craft Centre and Tea Room. Bernie, Janet and I had very average ploughman's lunches, Brendan had a pie and peas and Jill had a really cheesy, cheese toastie. Wish I'd had one of those!!

We drove back to Haworth and had coffee and cake while we watched 'Come Dine With Me'. Before we could get sucked into 'Coach Trip', Bernie, Brendan and I packed up the last of our stuff, loaded the car and programmed the SatNav for Manchester Airport. Funnily enough, we drove back past Wycoller and then down into Colne before taking the M65, A56 and M66 south to the ring road around Manchester. We dropped Brendan at a hotel at the airport at about 4.30pm and we were back in Stalybridge a bit after five.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 32; dbt: 0.035s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb