The Edge of the World: The Plan


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » West Midlands » Wolverhampton
January 1st 2012
Published: January 2nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

“Meet me at the edge of the world”



Out of darkness cometh the light, and that light shall guide us unto the very edge of the world itself. Well it might have done if the world wasn’t round. This is it though, the grand finale, some would say not a moment too soon, but we couldn’t round off our series of trips without an adventure, could we?



When we began our first trip, way back in April last year, it was to the darkest place in the country, to escape the ever growing plague of artificial lights and see the world above as nature intended. Somehow it seems fitting that we should end it following the light. Not streetlights, of course, we are once again looking at the spectacles of nature, and our journey will take us to the very edge of mainland Europe, if not quite the edge of the world. The light in question comes in two forms, depending what time of year we go: in high summer sunlight is a 24 hour constant, in autumn there is a distinct chance of seeing the Northern Lights. I have no real intention of going in the winter because, if you hadn’t already guessed, we will be well inside the Arctic Circle.



Nordkapp in Norway is advertised as being the most northern point in Europe, but if you abandon the car near Nordkapp and take on the five mile walk to Knivskjelodden, you will reach the lesser known, but real northern tip of Europe, and after making all the effort to get there why wouldn’t you go the whole hog just for the sake of a five mile walk? The whole trip will last for 10 days, starting in Tromso and passing through various small towns that take in the world’s most northerly church, post office and brewery.



I have some plans which we can sit and discuss over dinner at the Olde White Rose if you’re interested. Norway is one of the most expensive countries in the world but, as always, I am planning it all on a budget, so expect an exciting trip that will cost a bit but won’t have 5 star luxuries. Actual costs will probably depend on how many of us are going because the car hire and other things will be shared between us, so let me know if you are seriously interested and once we’ve got some numbers we can make plans from there. It’s going to be fun.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0706s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb