Miles of Tiles on the Way to Coventry


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » West Midlands » Coventry
September 15th 2016
Published: October 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 52.4058, -1.51266

The evening meal at Tally Ho inn last night was, as predicted, a hearty home cooked feast with a local beer to go with it. This morning was very foggy - nothing to do with the aforementioned ale - and we set off slowly along the lanes.

Today's adventure was at Ironbridge and Jackfield in the Midlands. The Iron Bridge was built in 1779 and is very impressive. We didn't pay the toll of 1/2d as stated on the original toll charges. We walked from there to the tile museum, everything from roofing tiles through to highly decorative, modern styles. Lots of things that look like quilt patterns, and an amazing variety to be seen, including ones that are in tube stations and butcher shops.

We then changed GPS mode from 'country lane' to 'motorway' and charged down the M6 to Coventry. We are staying quite literally right behind the new cathedral in the centre of the city. The old cathedral was bombed during the war and only the shell remains. A new very modern cathedral was built right next to it. It is a stunning combination and quite poignant see the two and the messages of forgiveness that they promote.

Tomorrow we start our canal boating so popped into Sainbury's for supplied. The combination of items in Aisle 8 was interesting - see photo.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



15th September 2016

Aisle 8 makes perfect sense!!
16th September 2016

I take it you got the wine not the baby.

Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0659s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb