Broadway, Stratford on Avon, Warwick Castle


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Warwickshire » Warwick
May 2nd 2013
Published: May 3rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Stratford on Avon and Warwick.

On the 30th April we set out to travel three hours on English roads. Narrow roads with cars parked on both sides and parked in both directions are somewhat of a challenge, especially since in the narrow space between the parked cars , locals drive very fast.

Broadway was our first destination and it was said to be the epitome of Cotswold villages It was where I purchased my pullover twenty years ago and I needed a replacement since it was full of holes. I bought two for the price of one, so was happy.

On to Stratford, using the Satnav, which took us on the scenic route via the Scottish border. We arrived nearly an hour later than we should have as a result. I spoke harshly to my Lady of the Garmin , but she ignored me.

It is a very beautiful but commercialised city but we liked all the old buildings anyway. We saw a production of Shakespeare’s “As you like it” done on an empty stage but done superbly.

We went to Anne Hathaway’s cottage and to Shakespeare’s mother’s farm. All most enjoyable.

Next day we drove to Warwick Castle again taking the scenic route thanks to Lady Garmin. This castle is owned by Madame Tussaud who invested 40 million pounds in it after purchasing it and 1000 acres for 1.5 million pounds from the current Earl of Warwick, who then took off to Perth in WA with his Van Gough paintings, (a ready source of cash).

It is a very well presented attraction and we spent over five hours there. We climbed 550 stairs to the battlements and enjoyed all the displays and torture chambers.

The drive home was unique in that the sun was shining brightly, it was hot and the Garmin Lady got it right at long last.

Tomorrow we set out for London and the Baltic.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 13; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0473s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb