North-East England: Newcastle and Durham


Advertisement
Published: September 6th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Dear All Greetings from England! I am currently back at home in London and back to school, having returned just over a week ago from a wonderful two-week trip around this land I call home – England. I plan to write about my journey in four blog entries in total, beginning with this one, and have come to call it “North-East England”, or “From Newcastle to Hull”. Quite unusual travel des... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 93, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Nice FlatsNice Flats
Nice Flats

South Shields
Ferry to North ShieldsFerry to North Shields
Ferry to North Shields

If I'm going to have to wear one, I choose to wear one that I'm proud of
Ferry LandingFerry Landing
Ferry Landing

North Shields
Town CentreTown Centre
Town Centre

North Shields
Byker Metro StationByker Metro Station
Byker Metro Station

Of "Byker Grove" fame
Army HospitalArmy Hospital
Army Hospital

Newcastle
Tyne BridgeTyne Bridge
Tyne Bridge

Viewed from the Millennium Bridge, Newcastle
Millennium BridgeMillennium Bridge
Millennium Bridge

Viewed from the Tyne Bridge, Newcastle
Tyne BridgeTyne Bridge
Tyne Bridge

Newcastle
Dog Leap StairsDog Leap Stairs
Dog Leap Stairs

Newcastle City Centre
Eldon SquareEldon Square
Eldon Square

Newcastle
"Pity Me""Pity Me"
"Pity Me"

A village on the way to Durham



6th September 2020

I have yet to visit Durham...
although it has been high on my priority list forever. It's former bishop, NT Wright, spoke at our church in Falls Church VA a number of years back, which stirred my interest. Your blog has rekindled my interest. Bill Bryson is also one of my favorite authors...I've read all his books, even the ones not about travel. Unfortunately, my trip to Scotland next year keeps me in Scotland with the closest point to Durham being Dumfries. I may still modify my itinerary to include Durham and Hadrian's Wall for old times sake. In the meantime I have time to take a deep dive into Linda's ancestry. I'm looking forward to your next blogs.
6th September 2020

Durham
Thanks for your comment, Bob, and for reading my blog ? I really enjoyed Durham, and it would be lovely I'm sure if you could make it down there. Still, there is plenty to see in Scotland, and I'm looking forward very much to reading about your trip there. Enjoy researching Linda's history in the meantime. And glad to hear we have a shared interest in the brilliant Bill Bryson ?
13th September 2020

Coincidences
Alex, I'm always impressed with how many places you're able to see during your travels over short time periods. Coincidentally, a meeting of past VirtualTourist travel bloggers was supposed to meet in Newcastle this year, but had to be cancelled due to the corona virus (although I wouldn't have been able to go anyway). So Newcastle and the surrounding areas are certainly of interest to me because I'm sure the meeting would have included day excursions to some of the places you saw. The other coincidence is your mention of the Century Travelers' Club. My husband & I would qualify as Provisional Members but I have been too lazy to submit an application! Must keep the promise to myself to do it. I'm sorry that you couldn't reach your 100th country this year, but even so, what a great accomplishment that you've visited so many already!!
13th September 2020

Coincidences
Wow, that is a coincidence, the meeting of past Virtual Tourist bloggers in Newcastle, particularly after I've heard so much about them from reading your blogs. I imagine they would indeed have seen some wonderful, and also off-the-beaten track, sights in and around the city. Also interesting to read you are also considering TCC membership - good to hear, I've very much enjoyed being a member myself. Thank you for your lovely comment - I do try to fit in quite a bit when I travel, and hopefully not long to go now until I reach 100 ?
13th September 2020

Always a good read
The excitement in your writing does tell the story of enjoying these locations with few others around. Glad you got a Potter photo. Our quest to reach TCC 100 has been delayed also but certainly will come sooner than later as travel is in our blood. The joy of reading your blogs this year is you've taken us to locations few travelers go so we've been exposed to interesting parts that were unfamiliar. I'll have to stop at that bakery the we get over there.
13th September 2020

Thank you!
Thank you for your encouraging comment as always, Merry. You're so right about us being able to read about others' travels deeper into their local areas, you have done the same for me ?? Indeed, I'm sure we both will reach that 100 sooner rather than later. I love a good Greggs, and highly recommend the sausage rolls and coffee when you're over here next. Wonderful to hear from you, hope all is well in the north-east. Ah, I've just realised we've both been spending time in the north-east of our countries!! ?
13th September 2020
Me

Fun
Nice photo.
13th September 2020
Me

Potter
Thank you, I've wanted to take that photo for a long time now...!! ?
13th September 2020
Durham Cathedral

Beautiful architecture
Serenity
13th September 2020
Durham Cathedral

Durham
Thank you Merry. I loved Durham Cathedral.
13th September 2020
St James' Park Stadium

Newcastle
We'd love to go to a game.
13th September 2020
St James' Park Stadium

Newcastle
Ah, yes. I seem to remember you're fans of baseball matches over there. I'm sure you'd love the atmosphere of a Premier League football game over here ?
14th September 2020
River Wear

Durham and Newcastle
We were in Newcastle and Durham a few years ago. We really enjoyed walking along River Wear. When we did that it felt like we walked inside a dramatic painting. On that trip we also visited Berwick-upon-Tweed. That was an interesting place to visit. If you come to the region again we can recommend a visit there. /Ake
14th September 2020
River Wear

Durham and Newcastle
Wow, small world! I completely understand the feeling of walking in a painting when walking along the River Wear, good comparison! I actually spent a short time in Berwick-upon-Tweed, which I will write up on in my next one. I'm looking forward to reading about your trip around southern Sweden - looks like you are also staycationing this summer ?

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 15; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0446s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb