Hatchlands Park


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Surrey » Guildford
December 6th 2010
Published: December 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

The manor house, east of Clandon village, 6 km away from Guildford, is one of the historical properties and is managed by the National Trust.

The manor house was built in the 1750s and was once resided in by Admiral Boscawen. He commissioned Robert Adam to design the interior and furniture in the Drawing Room, Reception, Dining Room, Library, and Music Room, the details of which include carvings of nautical motifs such as Neptune, God of the Sea, anchor, dolphin, and mermaids. There are portraits of past residents and Reynolds’ masterpieces hanging in the Principal Rooms.

The highlight of Hatchlands Park is valuable collection of 17-18th century keyboards, e.g. Square Shaped piano with signature of J.C. Bach, the earliest harpsichord manufactured in 1622, the grand piano owned by Mahler, and the grand piano which Chopin used at an English Recital, to name just a few.

You will not miss the long piano which was used by Franz Liszt, Hungarian Composer, in Florence and mahogany organ which Lord Rendal specially ordered for the exhibition in the Music Room. Likewise, there are concerts featuring the performance of harpsichords and clavichords held twice a year.

To the south of the house, there is an attractive parterre garden consisting of gravel path, roses, lupines, and lavenders blooming on the centre of the low hedges, and ancient urns and statues, which was designed by Gertrude Jekyll.

Furthermore, there are walking courses which go through the woodlands, meadows, and the lake where sheep and horses wash their bodies.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0405s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb