In Memory of an Amazing Lady


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Surrey » Earlswood
January 17th 2007
Published: January 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

When I was a very young child, I had an irrational fear of Mama (my grandmother and guardian) passing away. So much so, that I would creep into her bedroom early in the morning, to check whether she was still alive. This rather morbid behaviour resulted in Mama giving me some sound advice. She sat me down and asked me whether I would forfeit our good times together, so as to avoid the pain of us being parted when she died in years to come. I gave it some thought and answered that I'd prefer our time together. We hugged, she assured me that she would not be dieing for some time, but that when she did die, I should remember all the good times that we had had. That was over thirty years ago.

Mama passed away quietly and without pain on 5th January this year. I was fortunate enough to have been able to get back from Sydney some ten days or so before hand (leaving poor Marc there). As I'm sure you can appreciate, those last days with her were very precious to me. We didn't discuss anything special, I just sat next her holding her hand or doing my tapestry and occassionally chatting about Marc's and my future travel plans. However there was nowhere else on the planet that I would have preferred to be.

If there is such a thing as a good way to die, then that is what Mama experienced. There had been enough weeks for nearly all the family visit her, she had spoken to Claire in Australia (that made her very happy) and even spoken to everyone in the Philippines. We were all spoiling her with hand and foot massages, her favourite foods, stories being read to her, family photos being paraded infront of her and even her favourite music on an MP3 player. Then on her last day, she told Keith that she was tired and that he was to leave, she fell to sleep and a short time after she passed away. What more could we have wished for her. I like to think that now she'll be sitting with Papa, catching up on their fourteen years apart.

So now we should follow Mama'a advice and remember the good times that we have all had with her over the years.

Thankyou for all the good times Ma, we will always love and remember you. Goodbye XXX




Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



18th January 2007

Thanks for those pictures. So beautiful. I just finished a short trip w/ my mother to Mexico. She was like a little girl. Thank you for sharing..truly an appropriate time for these pictures.
19th January 2007

My condolence
Emma, Please accept my condolence on the demise of your grandma. She must have left you with numerous fond memories. Remember her in your heart and treasure all the beautiful memories. May her soul rest in peace, Amen.
19th January 2007

good memories
Dear Emma I loved reading your farewell to Hope and seeing all those great photos. We've been gently remembering Hope in Australia these last few days especially. "Good memories and good advice" We all remember Hope as a dynamic friend when we needed to talk and listen with her. Goodbye Hope from all the Lovetts in Australia.
19th January 2007

My Condolances
I only had the pleasure of meeting her a few times, but she was and will always be an amazing, wonderful woman. Al x

Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 18; qc: 68; dbt: 0.0823s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb