Abbeydale, more Peaks and a wet drive to Wales


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » South Yorkshire » Sheffield
September 28th 2010
Published: October 30th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Our last day in Sheffield began with an early photo session with Mark before he went off for work so that we could say our good-byes to him. We hated saying goodby to him after such a short few days, but are hoping that it won't be long until we meet up with him again either in the uK or back at home.

Mum & Dad came with us to visit Abbeydale Industrial Hamlet. The Hamlet is a museum, set around a former scythe making facility. There was a large water-driven foundry and grinding house, with a large dam feeding it. The Hamlet was nestled under the dam wall, and was made up of several stone buildings. The buildings were made out of local sandstone, including several old millstones in some areas. There were blacksmith workshops, warehouses, stables and a manger’s house. We were very interested in Abbeydale because Goanna’s great-grandfather had worked in Sheffield in a steel mill, which would have been a place similar to Abbeydale, and maybe even at Abbeydale itself.

Jean, Tracy & Alexander met up with us for lunch at a Peak District pub - not quite a classic English pub, owing to some modern additions, but not far from it. After lunch we said the rest of our goodbyes to Tracy, Alexander, Jean, and not-so-long goodbyes to mum & dad, then set out on our long drive in the rain to Caernarfon, Wales, arriving there at about 7:30pm.

To our surprise, while searching for our hotel, we had accidentally driven into the Old Town, around part of the Castle, and back out through the town walls! This was the first time that we had been up close and personal with a “living” castle and walled town, and made quite a memorable impression on each of us… …except for Possy who slept through the whole thing.

Our hotel was the Caernarfon Travelodge, located right on the Victoria Dock (or Doc Fictoria in Welsh). The room was sparsely furnished, however was spacious, with plenty of room for a portacot for Possy, all our bags and a sofa bed for Little Cocky. We headed out for a quiet, late dinner at the Premier Inn’s restaurant next door, before crashing into bed.

LITTLE COCKY’S COMMENTS: It was interesting to see a place like where my great-great-grandfather worked. It would have been hard and dangerous work.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.205s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0426s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb