Oktoberfest 2007


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » South Yorkshire » Sheffield
October 27th 2007
Published: October 31st 2007
Edit Blog Post









What is Oktoberfest?



Oktoberfest is a 16 day German beer festival that takes place annually in Munich, Germany. With over 6 million visitors every year, the event is the largest people's fair of its type in the world and attracts visitors from as far away as Australia and the Far East.



The first Oktoberfest took place in 1810 as a celebration for the marriage of Crown Prinze Ludwig and Princess Therese of Saxe-Hildeburghausen. The event proved to be so popular, that there are now Oktoberfest events in virtually every contintent on the planet.

The 9th Doncaster Scout Group Oktoberfest 2007



Our annual Oktoberfest event has been running for more than five years, and this year's event proved to be the most popular ever, with nearly 100 tickets sold nearly a month before the event was due to take place. There are several groups of veterans amongst this year's guests who have attended every Oktoberfest that we have held, and the general concensus was that this year's event was amongst the best.

The five course meal remained virtually unchanged from last year with a host traditional Bavarian dishes served from authentic Oktoberfest recipes including Bratwurst, Sauerkraut, Root vegetables and Strudel. For just £10 a head we believe this really does represent fantastic value for money. This year saw Warsteiner being featured as our premier beer on tap, and proved to be extremely popular - the first barrel had been emptied as the soup course was being served! The authentic bottled Oktoberfest beers also proved particularly popular as well, and our thanks must go to Mr and Mrs Vickers for their continued assistance in running a popular and well stocked bar!

After the banquet, the Leadership team and helpers took a well deserved rest which allowed the themed raffle to be drawn. We would like to thank all of the guests that bought tickets, as the monies received really does help, and the prizes were very well received (particularly the gentleman who decided that he wanted the ladies Oktoberfest t-shirt - very fetching!).

Finally the lights were dimmed and the music turned up as resident DJ's Derek and Jonathan played a classic mix of party tunes that filled the dance floor until the wee early hours of the morning.

Another great event over and a few thanks



This year Oktoberfest 2007 has raised in excess of £1000!

As the Leadership team and helpers recover from another long and tiring weekend of fundraising, we would like to thank ALL OF OUR GUESTS for coming along to experience our Oktoberfest event. We hope that you enjoyed the food and had a good time! As some of you may be aware we all do these events voluntarily, and the money raised from this event really does make a difference to the Group and takes us closer towards the Scout Hut extension and many other projects that we have for our Group members.

As usual there are lots of people to thank for helping at this event and please accept our apologies if you aren't mentioned!


* All of our wonderful waitressing team who did a fantastic job of serving guests as usual
* Mr and Mrs Vickers for running the bar
* Steve Jackson for helping out during the day
* Kath and Jill for the great table decorations
* Derek and Jonathan for providing the audio/visual entertainment
* The Explorers for glass collecting and helping where needed
* Mrs Offord for helping during the day and shredding a mountain of cabbage!
* All of the Leadership team (too many to mention) for their continuing hard work, commitment and friendship
* Skip and our GSL for their leadership

SEE YOU NEXT YEAR AT OKTOBERFEST 2008




Additional photos below
Photos: 43, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

David mashing the potatoes David mashing the potatoes
David mashing the potatoes

Note the Explorer helping with washing the pots!!!!


Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0433s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb