Raindrops on roses....


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Somerset » Bath
July 16th 2011
Published: September 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 51.3814, -2.35745

I can't believe I forgot to tell you about the Bath Abbey Tower! All the clotted cream I've beeneating must be clogging my brain! As I previously mentioned, tour buses from London really clog up the city, but as we were leaving our second tea yesterday, it was about 4:45 and the crowds were noticibly thinning. We decided to have a look in the Abbey....essentially a big church. We noticed a sign that said "Tower tours" and the last one was at 5pm. We bought our tickets and waited in the assigned area. Much to our surprise and delight, we were the only people who bought tickets! Our own private tour!

What does the tour entail? Well, 212 steps up a very narrow circular stairway to see where they ring the church bells and the mechanics behind ringing them by both human and nonhuman means. Then we got to see the bells! We also got to see the upper side of their vaulted ceiling....I was a bit nauseous, thinking about standing all the way up above the floor of the church. Then we went up to the roof of the tower to enjoy views of the city! Oh, the views! This private tour was definitely a trip highlight!

So today we took a tour that was recommended by Rick Steves. Mad Max Tours takes people on a few different tours but ours was a full day to Stonehenge and Avebury stone circles as well as a few exquisite Cotswold villages. We had a fabulous day in spite of it raining sideways in the morning!

I was surprised that they allow people that close to the stones! The driving rain made it less than perfect but at the same time, it also made it feel a little more mysterious. (If that makes any sense) But the crowds!! Ugh! It was crowded when we got there but as we were leaving.....holy cow! What a mad house! The lines to get in as well as the traffic out on the road....we were glad to be escaping!

Next we were off to Avebury, a lesser known stone circle, but 16 times as large as Stonehenge! It was spectacular! The mysteries of the ancient world are mind boggling and this place was more powerful (we both thought so) than Stonehenge. I'll post pics as soon as I'm able.

On to the villages of Lacock and Castle Combe! Both villages have been used in numerous movies and television series like Harry Potter, Pride and Predjudice, Dr. Doolittle (the original with Rex Harrison), Tess......etc. We had lunch in Lacock at The George, an Inn serving the town since 1638! Steak and ale pie? Yes, please! Ale for the day was called Henry's IPA....delicious!

Got back into Bath about 4:30. Did a bit of browsing before the sidewalks are rolled up at 6 and back to the hotel where we both collapsed. So excited for London tomorrow, but must admit, we miss being able to talk to Andrew and Sara (the rest of you are included too)! Pip, pip....cheerio til tomorrow!!

Advertisement



17th July 2011

Ut Oh.... I think Pip Pip Cheerio maybe something you have picked up that may stick with you upon your arrival back across the pond!
18th July 2011

I am counting down the days til Thursday....I cant wait to talk to you both!!!

Tot: 0.256s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0694s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb