Dogs, Cows & Bath


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Somerset » Bath
April 25th 2017
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 51.3814, -2.35745

Today Meriel and I and the dogs, Monty & Malfy enjoyed a 2 hour meandering walk through the fields and along the Banks of the Avon between Great Somerford And Malmesbury. Our route took us though woods lined with flowering bluebells and the remnants of the daffodils.

With the dogs securely on leashes we crossed a number of field with grazing cows. Now all my previous encounters with such bovine beasts have been unremarkable... you'd only have to blink an eye and the cows would turn away.

Not these ones... I reckon they were zombie cows.... not only did they actively follow us but they didn't even stop advancing when we we trying to 'whoosh' them away! Quite disturbing.... but we prevailed! Humans 1 - Cows 0.

After nature there must be culture - I went to explore the elegant city of Bath It is most famous for the archeological wonder from which it takes its name - the 2,000 year-old Roman baths. The Romans built the baths around The largest of the cities three hot springs and it came a place of relaxation and with the water containing 43 different minerals and maintaining a constant temperature of 46.5°C.

Bath is also well known for its perfectly preserved honey-colored Georgian houses and I enjoyed walking the Royal Crescent, a monumental 200-yard semicircular sweep of residential townhouses with a breathtakingly uniform, palace-like façade.

I also loved the symmetry of the Royal Circus, a perfect circle of three stories with different classical orders (column types) on each storey.

Pulteney Bridge was interesting as it is one of only a handful of bridges with buildings that are still standing. It was constructed in 1770 to connect central Bath to undeveloped land on the opposite side of the River Avon.






Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



2nd May 2017

Sounds like you are having a wonderful time - love the photo of George and Midnight! Enjoy your ride. Jacqui x
2nd May 2017

Great photos!

Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0194s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb