Day 6 - the maybe we are a bit crazy day


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Somerset » Bath
September 30th 2022
Published: September 30th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Wow. What a day.

After dealing with our laundry delivery at 7:00, we were able to pack and head on our way. We got a car to take us to the hertz rental dealer at city airport where we picked up our car.

What an adventure. As Don has never driven on the English side of the road, the drive out of London created some teeth clenching moments for me. He bounced off the left curb a few times but overall did pretty well. And I’m very glad not to be the one driving so I shouldn’t complain.

We first stopped at Stonehenge. We were surprised that it is basically in the middle of a sheeps pasture. And there were sheep right there. It was smaller than we imagined but still quite impressive to think it was built 5000 years ago. We timed it well as it just started to spit rain as we got on the bus back.

After that, we headed to Salisbury cathedral to see the Magna Carta. It wasn’t a planned stop for us but when we realized it was only 1/2 hour away, we couldn’t resist seeing the document so much of law is built on. It was surprisingly small with very tight, neat handwriting. The cathedral was impressive as well - built in the 1200’s by the Normans.

Salisbury gave us our first taste of driving the narrow, ancient streets with that they call roundabouts but are really just odd intersections. Don spent most of the drive white knuckled navigating pedestrians, traffic and crazy narrow roads.

From there we headed to Bath. We arrived in bath at the height of rush hour in the pouring rain. We really wanted to get to the Roman baths before they closed so parked illegally - and, yes, we got a ticket. Sigh.

The Roman baths were amazing to see. They are also right next to The Pump Room, the setting for many regency novel scenes. It was amazing to walk the streets that Jane Austin did when writing her books.

We then had to find out way to our AirBnB. I won’t recount our driving and parking adventure - it requires a cocktail to get it right. But we made it. Once checked in, we walked back to town for dinner. We had a lovely meal right across from the bath house before stumbling back again.

We’re both feeling the walking. We did another 9.5 km today. Time to call it a night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 50; dbt: 0.055s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb