Starting Out


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Oxfordshire
September 10th 2007
Published: September 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

While in Kenya on holiday with the Harveys in 2005 we had all discussed driving to Kenya. We all wanted to visit Ethiopia, but to get there we had to drive through Sudan which we felt might be difficult due to the political situation. Then Hamish and Camilla and Ian and Chris discussed driving up from Kenya to avoid Sudan.

In June 2006, I read an article in the Times Travel section about a couple who had driven from London to Cape Town in six weeks. In the article they wrote that Sudan had been the high point of their trip and that there were no problems in the areas that they drove through and how delightful and friendly the Sudanese are. Jeremy immediately said that was what we must do, it sounded so exciting! We told Hamish and Camilla what we intended and straight away they said they would come with us and we would meet up with Ian and Chris in Ethiopia.

The summer of last year was spent trying to decide what vehicles we would need to buy, which routes we had open to us, and how we would tackle the mountains of paperwork we foresaw ahead.

By the autumn Jeremy had obtained a very nice second hand Toyota 4x4 Land Cruiser and, on January 3rd this year, Hamish bought a similar vehicle, the same model and colour. Meanwhile they again visited Kenya for January and February and Ian’s mouth was watering at the thought of the Ethiopian adventure that lay ahead of the four of us who were starting from Shipton; tame by comparison to his start from neighbouring Kenya. So, in March he approached us and said:
“Please may we join you four and start from England too?”
We of course were delighted and agreed. He asked Hamish to find him a suitable vehicle and, quite by chance, he found one on the internet, another second hand Toyota Land Cruiser, exactly like the two we already had, even down to the silver paint finish.

The Preparation
We set about preparing our vehicles for what would, in effect, be our travelling homes for two or three months this autumn. Jeremy built in all sorts of comforts in the rear compartment, as Hamish did in his car. Ian couldn’t - he was in Kenya. We all enlisted the expertise of Frogs Island 4x4 in Abingdon (run by Eddie Priscott who has been a source of inspiration and help) who were very helpful in preparing our cars. Uprated suspension, suitable tyres, underbody protection, roof racks and tents, extra spare wheels - the list goes on endlessly. Then there was the scramble to get all the visas in our passports, carnets de passage for the vehicles, insurance, medical jabs, so on and so forth!

So now we are just about ready for the off!




Advertisement



14th September 2007

Good Luck!
Thinking about you this morning as you set iff on the ferry. Have a great trip and keep us all posted on progress.
15th September 2007

Good Luck
Hi guys, Hope you're enjoying the trip so far, Spoke with Keith last night he said you're having a ball in Belgium. Woohoo!! sooo exciting xx The jeep's almost ready hehe!!

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0361s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb