Been there, were here and heading there.


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Oxfordshire
August 16th 2022
Published: August 16th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Been planning, been training, been undergrounding, been escalating, been lifting, been walking and really been enough. We are both ready for the last car trip into Simonsbath and it’s that not far away. Just waiting for our train and because McScrooge booked the cheaper non-transferable ticket we have actually seen a train depart that could have taken us to Taunton and to our new mum and dad.

But it did give me time to Facechat Lee and because I haven’t had time to do anything wrong or misbehave in any way I’m at least temporarily in the good books.



It was 28 real degrees (not those American ones, Capt Matt) here at 7 o’clock in the morning. Bizarre. The locals don’t think it will last and I’m hoping it won’t! We are prepared for rain and even storms but not for 30 degrees and sunshine. England’s green and pleasant fields are gone. It’s brown here and dry and some parcels of land were even burnt and scorched. Nothing like I’ve ever seen before so I’m hoping that the Atlantic winds do their job and keep the coast and immediate hinterland green and fresh.

There are 2 people with masks on here, and no Julie and I don’t feel conspicuous at all. Just saw a third, a cleaner at the station. Hope he doesn’t ask us to mop or sweep.



Made it to here now. Arrived in Simonsbath and snuggled in. Julie’s showered and should be almost human again and I won’t be far behind. Now we are just tired and sort of blotted with too much airline food, served at inappropriate times and with plastic cutlery which almost precludes anything tasting OK.

Planning a delightful walk tomorrow along the beautiful Barle River Valley. It’s raining at present but really just as a mist so even if these conditions are maintained the weather will be alright. Plan to walk about 20 km but they may depend on what time we get up! The route walks to a delightful tea rooms in the quaint village of Withypool then back to an equally delightful tea room in Simonsbath so it appears we may be setting a dangerous precedent. Even in Devon they are not called Devonshire Teas but cream teas. Our endeavours may assist in answering that age old question about whether ‘the cream goes on first or the jam goes on first’. We will do our best.

Anyway we are here now and just about ready for South West Coast Path and the 2 Moors Way.

Again caio for now.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.289s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0674s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb