Day 17 - day of knowledge


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Oxfordshire » Oxford
October 11th 2022
Published: October 11th 2022
Edit Blog Post

After our usual lovely breakfast (yes, Heinz beans again), we hopped in the car and headed south to Bletchley Park. Unfortunately, almost 2 hours into the drive, I realized I left myKindle behind! This led to a mad scramble to contact the castle to make no arrangements to have it posted to us at our last stop in London. It should all work out - fingers crossed!

Having read about Bletchley Park (on the aforementioned Kindle), this was a highlight of our trip for me. I was looking forward to seeing where the code breaking all took place and where women were able to play such an important role in the war effort.

It did not disappoint. Not only did the historical society do a great job with the restoration and displayed, the site itself was fascinating. We spent almost 4 hours wandering around and taking in the exhibits.

From there, we headed to Oxford. After checking into our AirBnB which is tight in the heart of Oxford. It’s a 15th century building that used to be an old Inn. There is strong circumstantial evidence that Shakespeare stayed in the inn here and did a performance of one of his plays in the courtyard.

After settling in,we set off on a wander. We saw several of the colleges that make up the University of Oxford and when possible, we went inside. We saw several of the chapels and libraries and generally walked around gawking.

We walked down to the Thames and had a lovely dinner at The Folly Restaurant before heading back in for the night. Another 9.5 km day!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0528s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb