Nuffield Place - A step back in time


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Oxfordshire » Oxford
September 29th 2018
Published: September 29th 2018
Edit Blog Post

A glimpse into the life of Lord & Lady Nuffield & a look around this millionaires modest abode - we certainly walked into a time capsule.

William Morris (not the William Morris of Arts & Crafts fame) this William Morris, later known as Lord Nuffield was one of the world's greatest philanthropist of the 20th century.

He brought cheap motoring to Britain, by introducing mass production processes in 1912 he registered WRM Motors Ltd for the manufacture of cars.

Lord Nuffield was never extravagant with his money and gave much away to good causes. In 1927 he started to give large sums to hospitals particularly in areas where he had car manufacturing factories.

His name is familiar in regard to many aspects of medicine Nuffield Orthopaedic centre, Nuffield Institute for Medical Research to name just a couple.

Walking around the house was like walking into a bygone era, nothing extravagant Just full of everyday memorabilia, artefacts & furniture just as it was left following the death of Lord Nuffield in 1963.

As we wandered through the various rooms I was impressed to see so many vases of fresh flowers that had been picked from the gardens, it was if Lady Nuffield herself had arranged them.

It has been another interesting day and still included flowers !



Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.433s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1058s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb