Nottinghamshire 1 - picking up the new baby


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Nottinghamshire » Nottingham
March 10th 2012
Published: March 10th 2012
Edit Blog Post

A whole week has gone by and finally I am working part time. The decision has been made to try to get up early, do something and make the most of the extra days without work. A walk to the swimming baths, 50 lengths and a walk back on two days. A trip to the local garden centre to buy vegetable seeds ready to plant up for the summer. The car received its much needed wash before its trip to the garage for new wheel bearings and to have its handbrake cable sorted. Life is much more pleasant now with more time on our hands and more importantly Spring seems on its way. The mornings are pleasant, the sun shining, gardens full of the colours of Spring; the yellow opening buds on the forsythia, daffodils waving their heads in the breeze and a hint of green on the hawthorn hedging.

And today our new baby was being picked up. We set off early for the long drive to Nottinghamshire. Travelling North South always seems easy whilst East West rather irksome. We travelled from North Wales via Shropshire to drop off a card for son in laws 32nd birthday. Although out of the way Shropshire looked pretty in the Spring sunshine. Staffordshire on the other hand looked grey and misty. Although by the time we reached Nottinghamshire the sun was shining again.

We spent lunchtime in a delightful pub on the banks of the River Trent at Gunthorpe - the Unicorn. Menu sorted beforehand by checking the internet. The car park was full. Some families sitting by the river bank feeding and watching the ducks and geese. others sitting with their drinks outside in the spring sunshine. The pub was a lovely old English inn with a warm welcome - not too busy but not empty either. I chose a vegetable soup with rustic bread. The soup was delicious and cost only £2.95. Glenn chose a mixed salad of lettuce leaves, cucumber, red and yellow peppers, radish and topped with crispy bacon and grilled chicken. His verdict very tasty and he would have it again if we came this way. We stood for a while watching the ducks and geese ourselves before we went to pick up Suzy Sundance.

We had been promised that someone knowledgeable would meet us at the dealers and introduce us to our new motorhome.
Gunthorpe Gunthorpe Gunthorpe

River Trent
As usual the someone knowledgeable turned out to be a salesman who gave us a cursory run through of the engine and the cab. An equally quick tour was given on the lockers,, the bed set up, the workings of the electrics and fridge. A cursory introduction followed on how the gas worked and we were told that the book would tell us everything we would ever want to know. Great if you are used to having a motorhome but being newbies we felt we needed a much deeper introduction to her workings. Eventually after this whistle stop tour and a few problems with our bank we left lighter in the pocket but now the proud owners of our new motorhome.

Our journey home was uneventful and by the time we got home she felt like an old friend and we parked her overnight on our drive. Our first trip out was locally to a caravan dealer where we stocked up on supplies of extra fuses, some lengths of electric hook up cables, chock blocks for the leveling blocks , window cleaning kit, a corkscrew and a couple of lap trays. An essential was a welsh flag and red dragon badge to attach to the back of the van. We were visited by our elderly neighbours who have their own panel van and have travelled for many years on the continent visiting particularly family in Strasburg. They were impressed with the styling and the changes to vans since they bought theirs 8 years ago.

It seemed a work of art trying to decide where to put everything. The bedding started in the lockers above the cab but ended up in the hanging wardrobe. The crockery and the cutlery were fitted into various lockers and drawers. The fridge switched on and working - it just needs food in it. Lights are working. We will probably learn how to use her when we take her on her first real trip out to Warrington on Monday where she will have her alarms and trackers fitted. We plan to spend the day in the city of Liverpool. Having visited many times I still find it fascinating and hope to introduce Glenn to the beautiful buildings on the waterfront, the lovely Liver Building , the museums and finally the ferry across the Mersey. Hopefully the weather will be kind to us.

Advertisement



11th March 2012

Suzy Sundance is beautiful...
we are sure you will have many wonderful trips with her.

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0587s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb