sabbatical 2019 - Lindisfarne


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Northumberland
August 9th 2019
Published: August 9th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Last hiking day of St. Cuthbert's Way, across the mudflats at lowtide to the isle of Lindisfarne. The trek across the sands took 2 and 1/2 hours. Rose walked briefly until water got in her wellies (boots). Becky, Ben, and Jan ended up bare foot in the mud at the end. And to think the causeway was not here until the 1950's, and even with a population of up to 500 on this island! So there are pictures of horse and buggies crossing the sands and picking people up from the 2 platforms that are situated in the middle of the path. We woke up this morning to church bells, 10 minutes before 8am. I realized that was announcing a church service, so i got dressed and went to a lovely service of Holy Communion in the local Anglican church, parts of which were built in the 12th century.

Today is quite stormy - wind and rain. but we will walk to the castle and possibly do a 4 mile loop around the island. Being here 2 nights allows for a lot of flexibility and "down" time for weary travelers and playtime for "wee" travelers - Dylan and Rose.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.209s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.07s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb