Holy Island and Farne Islands


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Northumberland » Farne Islands
September 16th 2007
Published: September 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

On Sunday we were up bright and early for a drive out to Holy Island which can only be reached by a causeway on low tide. This island is out in the North Sea and is home to Lindisfarne Castle and Lindisfarne Priory. The castle was much more modern than Alnwick as part of the castle hadn't even been built until the early 1900s. It was also much smaller but had an excellent view of the North Sea and Bamburgh Castle could be seen, distantly, from the walls. The priory was a ruin, much like Fountaines Abbey. There was a working church next to the ruin and a cemetery. This priory is where both St. Aiden and St. Cuthbert lived for a time. After visiting the Priory, Kia and I had a quick lunch and then we all climbed back on the coach for a short ride off the island to the Ferry that we would ride to the Farne Islands.
The Farne Islands are home to lighthouses and a bird sanctuary where, during mating and nesting season, thousands of puffins live on the islands. Of course, now that nesting season is over there were basically no birds on the islands, but we did get to see some seals. We stopped at one of the islands and had some time to wander around. We talked to one of the guys from the boat, and he made fun of our accent, just a little. On the boat ride back, the rain that had been threatening all day finally hit and we were drenched when we got back to shore. Kia and I went and ate dinner in a small dinner. The hamburgers were okay but tasted kind of like sausage and were really thin. Back in the coach we took off the wettest layers for an hour and a half ride to the hostel, Once Brewed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



18th September 2007

WOW
It sounds incredible! I'm amazed at how much you do in a day when there is so much history around you. I can't wait to see photos!
2nd October 2007

!Que Fantastico!
Este es tan lindo Erin, !que chevere! Kellie en completemente no-entusiasmando, no-pintoresco Grand Forks=totalmente celoso! Te amo y te extrano muchisimo mi nina linda!

Tot: 0.303s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 78; dbt: 0.1224s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb