A Day in York


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » North Yorkshire » York
April 29th 2007
Published: April 29th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Scotter to York

It wasn't a direct route like the map shows but you get the point. We zigzagged all the way up to York. Only a few miles on the Motorway.


Scotter to York
Stacey Morford
Hiya!

On this day we drove a little over an hour to the West and a bit North for a day trip to York. This is a medieval city. Much of it's medieval history is still visible today. Starting with York Minster. This cathedral took 250 years to build and was finished and consecrated in 1472. More pictures to come when we get to tour the inside. It is said to have a beautiful collection of stained glass. They are constantly doing refurbishing to the building. In the photos you can see where old stones have been replaced with new based on the coloring of the stones. There is a medieval city wall that still circles the city--it is a 2.5 mile walk. We mostly walked around the town center. Lots of people and lots of shopping. We actually drove through the people because we took a wrong turn onto a pedestrian only road. Ooops! We had lunch at the Roman Bath pub. There is a museum of Roman Baths below the pub to tour. There are many ghost walks around the city as well. Those, however, start in the evening. One pub boasts being the "most haunted in York"--Golden Fleece. We only went inside to use the facilities😊 Very rickety and stale smelling. Just across from the Golden Fleece is Shambles street. This street has been preserved since the 1400s. It is full of shops, restaurants and historic sites. It is Yorks oldest street and Europes best preserved medieval street. It has a cobblestone walk below buildings with roofs that almost touch. It is mentioned in the Doomesday book(refer to picture below). We stuck to the town center area but beyond that there's the Jorvik Centre, Clifford's Tower, York Castle Museum, and the Ouse River to also see. Those are on our list to do next time.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

York Minster_5York Minster_5
York Minster_5

See the gargoyles?
Shambles_1Shambles_1
Shambles_1

Notice how the buildings towards the end of the street lean in a bit
Roman Bath pubRoman Bath pub
Roman Bath pub

Yes that is a real man dressed as a Roman Warrior--Hmmmmm


23rd May 2007

A Day in York
Great Pics. The museum of Roman Baths below the pub sound neat to see. You will have to send pics of that next. Sounds like a lot of fun trips you guys are doing. I will miss not meeting up with Koi and you next weekend in Barcelona when Keith and I are there.
24th May 2007

The (Stacey) Golden Fleece
I am glad that the TravelBlog is working out for you. Great pictures of the York Minster! Quick question when you have the time..... 1) What makes the pub "the most haunted"? Do the dead, gold-laden sheep come to life? 2) Does the guy in the Roman garb get paid well? I certainly hope so, because he looks uncomfortable and ridiculous.....however, not as ridiculous as the people dressed in cow costumes promoting Chick-Fil-A....

Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0582s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb