Into the North: Captain Cook Country


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » North Yorkshire » Whitby
September 6th 2011
Published: September 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Our drive today took us through farmland that is beginning to look as though the growing season is almost over. Even the green deciduous trees have a tired look and in many places autumn colours are making an appearance. With a blue sky liberally laced with huge rain clouds and a powerful wind from the west, we powered up the A1, then took a route to the east as we headed for the coast. We had decided earlier that as Kiwis abroad we must call and see Captain Cook in his home town of Whitby.
The road we took crossed the North York Moors, where we were impressed and delighted by the huge vistas and the great expanses of purple heather in flower all over the highest areas. Add the lowering clouds and flashes of sunlight and the Moors were magic to drive over.
Very soon the ocean was visible as we descended to the coast and found Whitby with its ruined abbey, cliffs and harbour. This picturesque harbour town has plenty of narrow steep streets to explore, with charming old shops and houses. Captain Cook was standing proud in the cliff top park, looking out to sea. We explored, stopping for a snack at a little cafe/art gallery where we enjoyed some wonderful paintings of the area, always with the threat of storm in the sky. Whitby is a place worthy of a second visit, we think.
We needed to move on towards our accommodation near Durham. School was out, so in heavy traffic we threaded our way back to the A1 and drove north. A quick glimpse of the huge “Angel of the North” looming up near the motorway reminded us how small we are, even if we’re driving a larger car than usual. The sea air and bracing wind had given us an appetite so we were very happy to see a cafe where a dinner of roast beef and Yorkshire pudding was just what was needed.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.306s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 53; dbt: 0.131s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb