Whitby


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » North Yorkshire » Pickering
August 4th 2014
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 54.2464, -0.782141

August 1st

It's 11am as we leave Norwich for Pickering in Yorkshire. A quick food and refreshments stop at Sainsburys & then we are on our merry way.
The traffic was not too bad on this 6 hour drive which included 2 short breaks and an incident with a large pothole somewhere in Derbyshire. Thankfully no damage done.
Arrive in Pickering after a slight traffic snarl due to the fact that there was a steam and tractor fair this weekend. How exciting that must have been.
Now to find Stony Moor cottage. Not too difficult really and only missed the turn off by a tiny bit. At least it was still light.
After a short and narrow gravel off road driveway we picked up the keys to this quaint building set in an Idyllic setting with pine forests and the North Yorkshire moors. So peaceful and quiet.
It was then back to Pickering for some tea. Not much was open or it was playing loud live music or karaoke. (Not to Ken and Thersa's taste at all) We eventually came across the Black Swan which served decent pub grub which satisfied our hungers. Managed to get back to cottage before nightfall, had a glass of wine and off to bed.

August 2nd.

Woke up at 8am to glorious sunshine and complete silence other than birds.
We picked up Michael from Pickering around 11 and decided to catch the steam train to Whitby for the day.
No steam train ride after all. Michael! (What can I say!) so we drove instead across the moors which are just beautiful. The traffic was horrendous even by English standards so Chris and I got out and said we'd meet the others at 5pm in town as the car parks were packed and I was not prepared to spend a day touring car parks of Whitby.
Chris and I headed over the harbour and climbed the 199 steps to Whitby abbey. The views across the sea were absolutely amazing and the Abbey was just stunning. Did not manage to find any tombstones with skull and crossbones but was assured that they do in fact exist.
Back down into the town for some light amber refreshments overlooking the harbour then off back to fine the others to catch the park and ride bus back to the car.

What a great day we had at the seaside.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



4th August 2014

Sounds like a lovely day, but for your pothole mishap xx
4th August 2014

Sounds like a good day. Is like to see that part of Yorkshire, after many years of watching Heartbeat.
4th August 2014

hope the weather holds for you - enjoy the abbey
5th August 2014

No picture??
5th August 2014

The cottage looks lovely and the lovely peaceful surrounds, just give me a good book decent coffee, and a nice bottle of red and I would be quite happy for a couple of days. And maybe a nice roast dinner.
6th August 2014

It looks so beautiful and peaceful - is that Ailsa's cottage Ivan? How were the legs after the climb???
6th August 2014

Beautiful!

Tot: 0.217s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0479s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb