The World is CLOSED!!!!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » North Yorkshire » Pickering
March 7th 2013
Published: March 7th 2013
Edit Blog Post

After a good night at The Pheasant Inn, we pointed Georgie in the direction of Yorkshire. She and Ian were not impressed as we drove through the Northumberland National Park, with windy roads and mist giving little or no views we finally made it onto the main A roads.



Woolly says – I couldn’t see a thing, not even a sheep to count! One hundred and fifteen miles on we took a sharp left and Georgie begrudgingly chugged up the steep road to Whitby Abbey, dominating the town and the cliffs around it was pretty impressive and it was easy to see why Bram Stoker was inspired to write Dracula when looking at the High Gothic walls of the abbey. Wrapping up warm we went to find the entrance, walking round the outside wall of the whole abbey, we finally came back to the start to find that we had walked straight past the closed ticket office; I must have words with Jo about checking opening times!



Sorry Woolly, but you can still tick it off in your I Spy book.



Woolly says – after my disappointment, we set a course for Pickering and found ourselves driving through the desolation of the Yorkshire Moors, with wind buffeting Georgie and no barriers to the winds we could sympathise with Ian’s relentless task to keep us all on the road. Jo told me about Wuthering Heights, a novel by Emily Bronte, written between October 1845 and June 1846, and published in 1847 under the pseudonym "Ellis Bell." It was her first and only published novel: she died aged 30 the following year. Wuthering Heights is set in a farmhouse on the Yorkshire moors, based on the enduring love between the heroine, Catherine Earnshaw, and her father's adopted son, Heathcliff and how it eventually destroys their lives and the lives of those around them. Apparently they spent a lot of time on the moors meeting – if it was this cold I would have stayed in!!!!



Such a cynic Woolly, reaching Pickering we drove alongside the famous steam railway to our place for the night, Lowther House is a B and B which serves food in the warmer months, the owners were very friendly and were happy for us to live in Georgie for the night at the rear of their property.



Woolly says – I kept a look out for steam trains but didn’t see any on our ten minute walk back to the town Centre, reaching the station we found it was CLOSED, this is not good. Ian called us over and suggested a short walk up to Pickering Castle, built between 1180 and 1187 it looked in very good shape and we eagerly made our way up to it, it was CLOSED!!!!!! Enough of this I’m going to look at shops and see if I can find a woolly scarf!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0388s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb