Ampleforth - A Benedictine Abbey and College


Advertisement
Published: November 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

On 2nd November I arrived at Ampleforth for a retreat to be led by Fr Matthew.

The Abbey began in 1608 in Dieulouard in Lorraine in north-eastern France when a group of English monks took possession of a vacant monastery because, given the political climate, they were unable to establish such a monastery in England. On 12th October, 1793, the monks fled back to England as French revolutionary troops arrived. For the next nine years the monks lived in four different houses in the Lancashire area before finally, in December 1802, being provided with a new home at Ampleforth.

Dean of the Ampleforth Abbey today is Fr Cuthbert Madden OSB who was elected three years ago by the monks for an eight year period. There are 80 monks at Ampleforth of whom about 40 are here at the moment. The others are out working in parishes. Four monks, the Headmaster and three Housemasters, work at Ampleforth College where there are 620 students, of whom 160 are girls. There are 520 boarders and 100 day students.




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

A Portrait hanging in the CollegeA Portrait hanging in the College
A Portrait hanging in the College

This portrait of Dom Paul Nevill MA was presented by Old Boys and Friends to mark his 25 years as Headmaster of Ampleforth College (1924 - 1949)


8th November 2008

memory lane
I hope this comment gets through (I've never done this before). the Ampleforth photos bring me back 30 odd years, when Pat and I did a retreat together at Ampleforth and washed dishes in the Grange with the then abbot (not 'dean'), one Basil Hume. Go well, friend.
8th November 2008

Ampleforth
Dear Paddy Thank you. Your message got through. We had our talks in the Grange. With best wishes John

Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0727s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb