She flies through the air with the greatest of ease or how to spend your 50th birthday!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Norfolk
September 25th 2005
Published: July 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Little Buckingham Airfield.Little Buckingham Airfield.Little Buckingham Airfield.

Right now can I really keep smiling for 5 hours? The wait is going to be too long. Trust there to be an airshow on today!
Well this was certainly going to be one of those mile stone journeys in life if only for a few minutes and for the grand distance of 12,000 feet! I finally got up the courage to pick up the phone and ring Geoff on the Thursday. Two days only to wait. The problem was that there was an airshow that day and we had to wait. There were other excited or nervous jumpers ahead and I had to be the last one. Still we watched the very glamerous Utterly Butterly lady do her wing walking in the bright yellow airoplane! Yes she even had the blonde hair to match. I must admit it all looked quite exciting. Maybe that's the next thing to do on my 'to do' list! Other jumpers went up and came down in an array of yelps and squeaks of delight or pure terror. People waiting below had a range of expressions.
Soon time came to be kitted out and I was given the unflattering white cap which looked more like a swimming hat! Two very excitable girls came down laughing and yelling at each other so I thought it would be OK. The plane was a
Do I look good in this?Do I look good in this?Do I look good in this?

What do you mean we jump in the gaps between the flying displays!
squash and we sat on an old gym mat. Three freefallers jumped out early and then there were two tandems left. We got up to about 12,000feet and then I remembered that I didn't like heights or in fact planes! The poor man in front looked decidedly worried but he finally made it to the doorway. Then he was gone! My turn came quickly and whilst I was busy watching the cameraman climb out.... glad he didn't fall early. We sat ready, Geoff turned my head to look at the cameraman then we were off! Head first out of the plane was certainly interesting. The freezing air just hit me and of course I forgot to breathe. The noise of the air rushing past was incredible.
All I can say is that it was like going headfirst down one of those swimming pool flumes except it was freezing and the flume was invisible. It was the most amazing experience. Suddenly a tap reminded me to put my arms out and also that maybe it was a good idea to breathe! The sight was beautiful. Above the clouds the sun was setting shining its golden rays across the sky. It was
Ready to go!Ready to go!Ready to go!

How many people can you squeeze in one aircraft?
just so beautiful... one of those magic moments never to be forgotten. The ground was hidden by the clouds and for a moment time just froze and this could have been heaven until a tap on the shoulder came to bring me back to reality.Then it was time for the parachute to open and with a jerk I seemed to fly upwards. Then it was the slow descent and to be honest not so exciting as the first bit. It all seemed very slow until the final landing when we swooped down to landing cross. I must admit I felt quite important landing as visitors to the airshow were watching. All I can say that was an experience to have in life! Absolutely fantastic!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

This is it!This is it!
This is it!

So this is supposed to be the scary bit is it?
Just remember to breathe!Just remember to breathe!
Just remember to breathe!

It's a long way down.
Smile please!Smile please!
Smile please!

What do I do now?
One for the album or not?One for the album or not?
One for the album or not?

Why did I have to wear the white hat?
Now for the slow bit!Now for the slow bit!
Now for the slow bit!

Time to look at the scenery.
At last!At last!
At last!

Finally down!
Who's a clever girl!Who's a clever girl!
Who's a clever girl!

Yep this was great!
What a smile!What a smile!
What a smile!

That was brilliant!


26th July 2008

WOW!!!
Fantastic pictures!!

Tot: 0.199s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 92; dbt: 0.1666s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb