Nottinghamshire 6 - Newark Air Museum, Vulcan Bombers, the Royal Observer Corps and a late birthday meal


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Newark on Trent
March 18th 2016
Published: March 18th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Well what should we do today? It' s cold outside. It no longer feels like Spring and there is a rather damp feeling to the air which is all pervasive. Still there must be somewhere within fifty miles, somewhere different and somewhere interesting to visit. My diary today has a quotation from Thich Nhat Hanh which states that "Each moment of our lives . each moment that is given to us to live, we have to live very deeply". So its home and not away for us but we will try to enjoy every moment of the day out wherever it takes us.

So where did it lead us to? Newark Air Museum. We have visited grand houses lately and felt like seeing something that would be different. We had visited Cosford Air Museum many years ago but Newark would be a first for us. We had passed it a few times and seen the airplanes lined up in the field but had never bothered to stop off before. The air museum is located on a former Royal Air Force Station at Winthorpe near to Newark on Trent. One of the many now disused air force stations dotted around our country. The site was easy to find and there was ample parking. Well it was a school day and we seemed to be one of only a handful of visitors. We went in through a lovely new building which doubled up as a shop and were welcomed warmly by two lady volunteers. The air museum is a charity and as such receives nothing much in the way of funding so has to rely on visitors to make ends meet . In places it showed as it had none of the panache of Cosford and in parts looked a little dejected and in need of a coat of paint. Nevertheless there were two impressive hangers full of exhibits and a small cafe ,



The first place we headed was for the Vulcan. Wow what a machine. I had tried to see the last flight of a Vulcan over Chesterfield last year but sadly the route was changed at the last minute and whilst everyone else during the day saw the plane we missed it as it went home early. This was my first opportunity to see this fantastic machine. Impressive although it must have been even finer in flight. It was hard to see the distinctive shape of the delta shaped wings from the ground. As we walked under her we thought how fantastic it would have been to have had a high tower to climb in order to look at the plane from above. XM 594 was one of the penultimate Vulcans built and delivered to the Royal Airforce in 1963. It flew for the last time in 1983 and was continually powered up until Health and Safety stopped that happening. It must have sounded noisy when fired up. Its wheels were down and its payload of bombs were laid up alongside her. After seeing her I wasn't sure what else would be that interesting.

Laid round all the perimeter were airplanes of all shapes and sizes with all kinds of markings. They were all dwarfed by the Vulcan and stood in her shadow. Sadly many of them were in need of repair and refurbishment . A touch shabby but that was probably due to lack of money. We walked in the cold. Even wrapped up in scarves, coat and gloves the cold penetrated our clothing as we walked. So what else did we see outside? Avro Ansons and Buccaneers stood check by jowl with Cessnas and Chipmunks. Fairey Gannets and Gloster Javelins. For an enthusiast there was much to see . Even for a woman or a chld there were things to do and be interested in.

In the first hangar we were greeted with a display from the now defunct Royal Observer Corps. Display cases full of the blue badges that I remember sewing onto my itchy blue uniform. Silver cap badges and memorabilia filled the cases. It brought many memories back. Two rooms were devoted to rooms in an old observer headquarters. An old fashioned dolly eyes switchboard, machinery used to monitor radiation levels and paperwork that seemed vaguely familiar. Hanging from the roof was a model of one of the first planes built , gyrocopters, a couple of helicopters, flying fleas and displays of cold war protective clothing. The ejector seat display looked interesting and invited us to sit in them and try them out.

The final hanger was filled with some war damaged items from airplanes and other bits and pieces which had come from crashed planes. RAF uniforms and simulators. Sadly with it being a weekday there was no-one apart from us in the hangers and no-one to answer questions.

All in all there were 32 airframes in hangar 1, 20 airframes in hangar 2 and 26 engines in the engine display hall plus all those lovely planes outside.

What was the best for me? The Vulcan - at last I had been able to see it. Who knows one day I might get to see it flying.

We both enjoyed our day out and ended it at the Roman Way a Table Table pub just up the road where we warmed up to carrot and coriander soup and a dish of Chicken Forrestiere. Sitting by the fire we slowly warmed up. Followed by a visit to Brownhills caravan site where we purchased a new heater for Suzy, some much needed toilet blue and a new cherry red kettle which will be getting a try out in 29 days time. On the way we visited new motorhomes - as you do. The new Rio - a cross between a panel van and a full blown motorhome. Less wide so not as much room to rattle around in but easier to park as shorter. I thought of a cross between a corgi and an alsation - a Dorgi . Not to our taste but it will suit some people with 46K to blow on a new toy. The new vans with a beautiful sun roof. I want one of those. A new black cab. We looked but won't be buying one unless we come up on the lottery which sadly we don't do. So Suzy is our mode of transport for some while yet.

Not an exotic day out but we enjoyed it as much as anything we have done.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.51s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 41; qc: 43; dbt: 0.2543s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb