Last Day in Liverpool


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Merseyside » Liverpool
September 2nd 2009
Published: September 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Last night we went to see The Searchers at The Cavern Club. It was the last event of Beatles Week. They sang some of their tunes from the 60's.

This afternoon we went to the Liverpool Museum because yesterday on the tour Johnnie was told about a very special recording that is there. It is of the song that John was singing when he fist met Paul at a St.Peter's Church afternoon tea back on July 6, 1957. There was a man there with a reel to reel and he caught many things. Yesterday when the bus stopped at the Church some of it was played for us and we heard from a man who was there that day. We were told that the recording sold for 87,000£. John was singing Elvis' Baby Let's Play House...It was so special to hear. Some of us started to cry. Then at the museum Johnnie got to listen to that recording that was taken at St.Peter's and also heard them singing Tie Me Kangaroo Down Boys...She listened to it quite a few times. Johnnie knows that John's mom was a big Elvis fan and she taught him many songs. She is the one who first taught him to play banjo & guitar. He often practised outside overlooking Strawberry Fields. His sister says the first places he played at were the local golfcourse & St.Peter's Church. John was also very fond of the Salvation Army Band that frequented his neighbourhood. Johnnie is going back there this afternoon.

At the Catholic Cathedral, it was interesting to see nativity sets, cards, crosses and Beatles souvenirs in the Gift Shop.

Vern is music'd out! while their was a country stage at the mathew street festival, he didn't go listen. i quess while in beatle land, do as the beatles do. but of course, the reason vern now listens to country music is due to the fact that country now has the rock and roll beat and sound that was played in the 60's. the modern rock is too off the wall for him.

tommorrow, thursday, we travel by train to edinburg to be picked up by johnnie's pen pal friend so we can go to selkrik where she lives.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0366s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb