Juxtapositions & Contradictions of the East End


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » London
June 21st 2010
Published: June 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Synagogue SandwhichSynagogue SandwhichSynagogue Sandwhich

An old Synagogue right in the middle of a mosque on one side and Islamic centre on the other side.
Yesterday and today was spent pounding the pavements of the East End and learning about it's cultural & spiritual landscape. Sooo interesting! From the huge Jewish population, through to the Hugunot Frenchies, Bangladeshi population and now the increasing Somali and Eastern-Block populations.

Looking at White Chapel, it's hard to believe that there was a Synagogue on almost every corner at one stage. Now there's way more mosques! An interesting sight I came upon in my tour was a tiny wee synagogue (now no longer in use) nestled in between a HUGE mosque and HUGE Islamic centre. Apparently, the Rabbi of the Synagogue & the Imam were quite good friends and would pool resources for things pertaining to security of buildings etc. Nice.

So why did I choose the words Juxtaposition & Contradictions in my title?

1. It's interesting to me seeing the old style architecture right next to the new style and how very different they look.

2. The same area that William Booth founded Salvation Army (and even similar time) is where notorious Jack the Ripper went on a rampage.

3. Many of the residents in White Chapel are of Bangladeshi & devout muslims, yet
Entry to Brick LaneEntry to Brick LaneEntry to Brick Lane

Has been named "Bangla Town". However Bangladeshi ppl weren't consulted about the style of the Arch-way.
most of the violence & drug dealing is amongst Bangladeshi youth.

4. The same East End is where folks like STALIN, LENIN & MARX came to hang out and hold conferences in the early days!!

5. The fact that in White Chapel there is NO LONGER The White Chapel, but just in an outline of the original chapel in Altab Ali Park.

6. The contrast on Brick Lane - where Bangla Town meets arty-farty funky beautiful people.

All these observations were nestled in between deep theological & missiological discussions. My brain is kinda full... but thankfully my dictaphone still has more capacity!!

My fascination for the East End has increased and so has my desire to eat a Bangla curry. I think it's on the agenda tomorrow!




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Funky manFunky man
Funky man

I met him at a retro market on Brick Lane. Me: "do you dress like this on a regular basis?" Him: "yes."
Christ Church SpitalfieldsChrist Church Spitalfields
Christ Church Spitalfields

Where I attended on Sunday
Down with the BNP!Down with the BNP!
Down with the BNP!

This guy a little drunk, so I dunno if he was paid to hold that sign.
What was White ChapelWhat was White Chapel
What was White Chapel

The stone outline behind us.
New London HospitalNew London Hospital
New London Hospital

3 BILLION Pounds for this baby!!!


21st June 2010

Well documented!
My dear daughter, this is good stuff and very informed. Just laughing so much at the pic taken with a drunk guy. It's good to be funny sometimes. Good one, keep up the updates.
22nd June 2010
New London Hospital

Great
Great posts and nice pictures. I'm glad you are having a good time.

Tot: 0.199s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0736s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb