Are we ready?


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Lincolnshire » Sleaford
May 2nd 2018
Published: May 2nd 2018
Edit Blog Post

The maintenance and modifications department has been very busy recently, rumours abound that a little trip is coming up. So here a few of the things which have been happening.

The Heki rooflight has always had a small leak, probably something to do with the fact that they are designed to be fitted to flat rooves and our roof is curved, I do like a challenge. The rooflight was also damaged and had an orange mist over it, so it was time to replace it. After shaping pieces of hardwood to compensate for the curve, I used non-setting mastic to stick it all together and to the roof. It really is very sticky stuff and seems to be working well, there have been some heavy showers recently and no leaks have appeared. I previously used Sikaflex or similar stuff, which is very good, but by the time you’ve put a couple of beads all the way round the rooflight the first bit you did is starting to get a skin on it, which is not good for getting a water tight seal.

The small vent over the shower area was damaged while reversing next to an olive tree on Crete. Fortunately the vent didn’t leak afterwards, but it was recently starting to drop to bits, so I replaced that as well (using non- setting mastic of course). Just to put all your minds at rest, there wasn’t even a mark on the tree.

The lights and indicator stalk had become very tired and would not stay in position when indicating left. This made doing a left turn a three handed job, at the last count I have only two hands, so I have replaced the indicator stalk.

Just for a bit more convenience, I have fitted a double usb socket in the back, next to the sofa, much better than using an adapter plug in a lighter socket. The small immersion heater, in the hot water cylinder, was connected using a plug and socket, which was a pain to use, so now there is a switch on the switch panel that operates a relay for the heater.

Another bit of wiring that I really should have done ages ago, is to fit a switch on the dash to override the thermostat for the electric cooling fan for the engine. Hopefully the radiator that I fitted last year will mean that I don’t need the switch, but it will give peace of mind.

Some time ago, I fitted the last of the cupboard doors, now I have finished off the inside with trim on unfinished corners and even some tiles in the kitchen area.

We’ve had problems with the diesel cooker and water heater, it turns out it was a problem with the fuel supply. So I have removed the section from the filler neck that has the small pipe to feed the cooker etc. and modified it so that there are now three 2mm pipes for the cooker, oven and water heater.

Meanwhile, the catering and domestic services has been stockpiling unperishable food to try and off set the extortionate cost of visiting Norway. (After all we are pensioners) All available space has packets or tins squashed into them. I'm hoping that Dream Catcher will be able to move under all the extra weight!

Wearing my other cap! All the admin tasks for both leaving the house and travelling for 3 months has been completed.

Logan our border collie who's head of security, has been watching our every move this week! he knows that were packing up and follows both of us as we trek back and forth packing the vehicle. He's making sure that we don't leave without him!

So with just one day left........ WE ARE READY!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.207s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0479s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb