Market Day like the movies


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Lincolnshire » Grantham
August 31st 2013
Published: August 31st 2013
Edit Blog Post

This morning Megan, Danika, and I decided to wake up early to get to breakfast by 8 in order to hop on the first bus into town at 8:30. We were going to Grantham, England for the morning to explore deeper into the cultural difference in England. As we left the beautiful manor, we were still taken off guard by driving on the wrong side of the road. Once we started to approach the town more traffic became heavier, roads became narrow and much more complicated. A simple round about did not exist in Grantham. People were crossing the streets early to get into town to begin the shopping at Poundland, Morrisons, the local street markets, and the many different shops. Today was shopping day for the town of Grantham.

As we first walk into the outdoor shopping center we run into a store called Poundland, where everything is one pound. It was exactly like a Dollar Store but without the added tax at the end. My 5 items were 5 pounds and that was a great realization that tax was nothing to worry about in England. We then ventured our way past Morrisons, which is equivalent to a Walmart in the States. We then walked to the end of the tiny street to a perpendicular street that lead us to the beginning of market day. It was a market filled with fresh fruits and vegetables, gorgeous flowers, occasional jewelry sections, and meats. The fruits and vegetables looked as if they were fake and very low in price. All though we did not try any, many people could not stop buying more. The flowers were flawless and the jewelry was intricate but the meat tents were an eye opener. Racks of meat hung from the top while some was displayed in the front. of the meat had a plastic wrapping around it until the butcher cut off the exact part you wanted.

Behind all the tents were the normal shops, cafes, and clubs that are normal bringing the town of Grantham to life. They had everything from thrift stores, jewelry stores, acupuncture, and boutiques. The thrift stores all were there as a benefit to charities to help cancer research, animal abuse, and even young children. The cafes were simple and had a very home like quality about them. The town of Grantham was so much fun to explore and we only touched the smallest section. I was nervous about crossing the street but next time we will be exploring the beautiful city in its entirety. I wonder how long it will take me stop giggling and getting excited to hear them speak.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0621s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb