Lancaster


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Lancashire » Lancaster
September 26th 2018
Published: October 15th 2018
Edit Blog Post

It had rained overnight and was a cloudy, drizzley sort of day so we went to Lancaster and visited the castle. We went on a guided tour and heard all about the history of the prisions (closed in 2012) and the county and criminal courts (which are still used so no photos allowed). Sadly the battlements are out of bounds so no good views of the city either.

We had a tasty pub lunch after which Dad went off to visit his friend who lives in Silverdale but managed to leave his bag at the pub with his phone in it! Mark ran ater him to the car park but he'd already left. The rest of us pottered around the market (buying onion bhajis, eggs, milk sweets, books and a rag rug!) then went to the Priory Church which was impressive. After this we strolled down to the remains of the Roman Baths - not much left but what there is is looked after by the local Young Archaeologist Club which is nice. Then we continued downhill and walked along the River Lune to the Maritime Museum. We learnt about off-shore gas drilling and the old Lancaster Customs House with info on the rum, tobacco and slave trade and Hadrian.

On the way out of Lancaster we stopped at the Lune Aquaduct which Dad had visited ealier with his friend.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 13; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0409s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb