Visiting Churchill at Chartwell


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Kent
June 24th 2007
Published: March 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well we set off for home this morning. On the way we visited Chartwell, the family home of Winston Churchill from 1922 until his death in 1965. The weather was gloomy again but we managed to walk through the gardens to the house before the rain started. We explored the house - most of the rooms were kept decorated as Winston's wife Clementine had arranged and the house still had a very homey feel. It was quite busy and at times we had to walk along behind a queue of other visitors. The house was bought by Churchill for his family and he worked with the architect Philip Tilden to renovate and redesign the house and gardens.

We eventually left the house to explore the gardens. We visited Churchill's art studio where some 500 of his paintings were displayed, and we found a small children's playhouse built out of stone with a real fireplace and overlooking the Kent countryside (with a nice view of two llamas in a field - random!!)

The gardens were beautiful. We were fortunate the rain stopped by the time we got outside. The plants were covered in raindrops and the air was fresh and it was really cool and pleasant outside. Winston Churchill designed much of the gardens himself and personally built the fish pond and rose garden. We eventually returned to the car for a cup of tea and then headed for home.

I've now got to spend the next few weeks packing and sorting out for my trip to California. I can't wait!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



28th March 2008

Oooh!
Ooooh! Send me the 'Walled Garden' one, pleeeeeaaaaaase?! :-)
24th June 2008

Hotels
Can send me details of Hotels 'Walled Garden' .
24th June 2008

Hotels?
The walled garden is in Chartwell. I don't know of any hotels in the area as I didn't stay there myself. I'm sure a bit of internet research would help you find a suitable place in the area. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Tot: 0.261s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 34; qc: 151; dbt: 0.1939s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.6mb