WE ARE HOME!!!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Kent » Canterbury
April 5th 2010
Published: April 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hi all

Well we are now back home (last Wednesday). A bit of a set back on our return journey - they brought out flight to England forward so no time to catch it after landing in Bangkok from Cambodia. Eva airline booked us into a Novatel hotel with complementary dinner and breakfast. Very swish and posh but we just wanted to come home!

On the Wednesday Bob and a few other volunteers went to Angkhor Wat (Cambodia's national temple monument) to catch the sunrise. He left a 5 am but it was a big disappointment as there was no red sky and the sun was quite high in the sky before it appeared behind clouds and dust.

On the Thursday myself and two other volunteers decided to have a party with the kids on my last Frdiay. We just gave them an A4 sheet of thin card along with glitter, crayons and other bits and pieces and they all made either hats or masks. One little lad who is 5 but looks 3 had a disgusting T shirt on that he had worn for best part of a month - absolutely filthy so I took him to the clothes box and fished out a T shirt with a tiger on. It was probably two sizes too big but he loved it and said "tiger". After I put it on he just turned around and said "thank you teacher" in a little voice and put his arms around my legs. The only problem was that he went back into the class showing it off when another couple of boys were showing me the rips and flith on their shirts so on that day I eventually gave out 6-7 shirts. We had the best day playing musical statues, musical chairs, British bulldog (they call it octupus). Bob and two Aussies in his class had their last day of music. They managed to get a guitar, bongos, recorders and rattles. Syliva (Aussie) copied the words to Waltzing Matilda and Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport so the whole class with the musical accompaniaments sang. The rest of us were on the green playing when they heard the music and decided to join in with Bob's class - hilarious and it is a wonder the floor didn't collapse. Bob thoroughly enjoyed his teaching and if we do it again he will definitely not go as a handyman! We also had the "goodbye and thank you circle" where all the kids gathered around with other volunteers and we were thanked for our time etc. etc. Bob said a few words on our behalf (too choked up to say anything). A lot of the kids from our classes came running up saying "teacher Linda we will miss you and please come back" same for Bob. Our last couple of evenings were spent at "Farewell" dinners - about 16 or so people as several volutneers leaving. Great time and our last visit to the "Angkor What" bar for our last bucket! Dancing til goodness only when.

We have both had an amazing experience with the children (and the volunteers!). When you think that the kids and their families have absolutely bugger all in the way of food, clothes and luxeries even toys and a lot of them have dreadful home lives they were very happy coming to school in a safe environment and certainly made the most of it. I hope that you have enjoyed the blogs.

See you soon.

Love Lyn and Bob xxxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Child in older classChild in older class
Child in older class

Khmer New Year next week. Tradition to slap talcum powder on each other's faces - started a fortnight before New Year. We all got a slap in the face with the talc.
Sinnet, Russ & SylviaSinnet, Russ & Sylvia
Sinnet, Russ & Sylvia

Singing Aussie songs.
Bob's last classBob's last class
Bob's last class

The singing day where the rest of the children joined in.


7th April 2010

Lynda and Bob :)
Aww loving the pics of Chai and Tina. Glad you got back okay. Loads of love Ellie xxxxxxxxxxxxx
9th April 2010

Welcome Home
I loved your blogs and think you should make them into a book....it would be a best seller! Glad you are home safely and Lyn, I hope you and Annie have a great time when you go away next week, it sounds fabulous! Bob, I am sure you will miss your lovely wife, but it will be nice to have some quiet time too. It was lovely to chat with you today Lyn. Love and miss you!! Cheers, Gill xoxoxo

Tot: 0.171s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.106s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb