Isle of Wight


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Isle of Wight
September 12th 2014
Published: November 9th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Mon 8thSeptember

Motored from Poole to Yarmouth on Isle Of Wight (IOW) . 0615 departure in order to catch the tide up at the needles as the current rushes out through the channel. Not enough wind to sail fast enough so had to motor all the way – in the end we just made in on the turn of the tide...sometimes we were only going 2.5kts, but that was only for a short time, mostly averaging 3kts for the last 30mins. On arrival we were allocated a berth on a ‘non-walk ashore’ pontoon. This costs the same amount as a mooring buoy outside the harbour. We were very fortunate in our timing as we got the last free space for the day. Boats continued to come in and some left as the tide changed and current headed the other way. Went ashore for an explore in town. Pontoon only costing 15P a day and tomorrow will be 10P as we were given a 5P voucher!! Arrived at the right time as there was a 3 day music festival that ended yesterday – around 70,000 young people here for it. They were still all lining up to catch the ferry back today.



Tues 9th September

Bought a 24hr bus ticket and had an explore around the island today. Went down to the needles first and saw where they would test the rockets, before then sending them to Woomera in SA for lift off. Wondering if dad ever saw those rockets being launched – I think it was around the time he was there. Had an amazing lunch ashore and then went up to the other side of the island – had a look around Ryde and then a long bus tour back on the eastern coastal side. Boats emptied out of the marina in the morning, and then when we returned in the evening it was full again, with some boats rafting up along our pontoon. Also 4 boats outside on the moorings – amazing how fast this marina fills up!!

11th September

Washing day and sorting day



11th - 14th September

Moved on today to Cowes on the 11th. Were advised that the cost for visitors mooring (not walk ashore) was 1.25pound per m/per day and to call harbour master on approach to harbour. He would then guide us to the pontoon and take our money!! Had a fairly brisk motor as the tide was with us and giving us assistance. On approach, I radioed harbout master – no response. Tried again a short while later, but still no response. So we continued into the harbour, past the chain ferry and found the visitors pontoon and tied off. Lunch time, so after lunch we set off into East Cowes for an explore. No harbour master had visited. For 5P (should be 10 pound) we were allowed to moor our zodi at the East Cowes Marina while we went ashore, this was meant to be a daily rate, but they said we could use it over the next 3 days. We could also use their shower and laundry facilities (showers were AMAZING). When we got back, still no HM came to take our money. A couple from a boat next door invited us over for late sundowners (after dinner drinks).

Next morning, HM came at 0900 and asked for 10P...we didn’t ask if that was for last night or tonight...just paid the reduced amount and shut up!! Then we took the Zodi all the way up the river to Newport – the main town of the island. Had to go up on a rising tide as it basically dries out on low tide. Watched a movie “Before I go to sleep” and caught up with Natasha’s relatives at ‘town choice cafe’. Then the half hour trip back to boat.

Next morning a relaxing day on board, few small jobs. No HM.

Departed 0900 for Chichester – no HM, so for 3 nights, we only paid 10 Pound. Got to be happy with that!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Nice house?Nice house?
Nice house?

Oh now I remember...a museum


Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0408s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb