England


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Hertfordshire
April 23rd 2009
Published: April 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Photo 1Photo 1Photo 1

Uncle Ted with the Curry & Chips
Hi everyone

Hello from Hillsborough, near Belfast Nothern Ireland. Again, it's a lovely sunny day. I'm almost feeling the need for cold and rain to reassure me that I am actually in the British isles.

We dropped into Barrow in Furness after leaving Islay after driving about 600 miles. Happily there was no more trouble with the car. We stayed with Uncle Ted and Carol and caught up with Sandra and John.

They were most hospitable and we again tasted the delicacy: curry and chips. Someone once said to me you shouldn't turn your nose up until you've tried it. They were quite right...it's delicious. Who would have guessed?

We were pleased to see Barrow looking a bit more prosperous. Vickers have submarine contracts for the next 20 years which is great. There is also new papermill in town.

For those of you are fmailiar with the place I'd like to report that the slagheap is still there. It's look a bit smaller though.

We got away from Barrow early and made our way to Welwyn Garden City which is near London. After I had a bit of a shopping fix (there's not much in
Photo 2Photo 2Photo 2

Carol at home
the way of shops on Islay so I was hanging out to get into a supermarket that was bigger than a bathroom) we made our way over to Peter's daughter Felicia's house. We met her fiance, Chris, who is a delightful chap of whom we throughly approve. It was lovely to see Floss and Chris together and we are looking forward to seeing them again in September at their wedding. We met Chris' parents, Andy & Enid, so they will know someone at the wedding!

As we've been away awhile and my staple diet has become chips notwithstanding that a moment on the lips means a life time on the hips and so forth! Chris and Floss took pity upon us and made a huge vegetable stir fry. I suspect we won't get scurvy for the rest of the trip. Floss took us to Hinchin the next day. It's an old market town which has lovely buildings and lots and lots of charity shops to explore. It was brilliant. I am refraining from buying anything more because the suitcases are bulging. I may be persuaded to restart the buying when I get to Canada though!

Sadly we said
Photo 3Photo 3Photo 3

Sandy back in the land she came from
goodbye to our lovely Floss and Chris and made our way to Heathrow for the next leg of the trip. So then arrived the moment of truth at the car hire place...how much were they going to charge us for the damage for the car. They eventually came up with a figure of £600 (as we'd expected). However, they are now selling the car. It seems that as soon as there is any damage they sell the cars on. It must be cheaper than panel beating!

Many thanks to Felicia and Chris for your generous hospitality. You were both very kind and welcoming and best of all had vegetables!

Sandy


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Photo 4Photo 4
Photo 4

Chris and Floss on their new seat KG bought


Tot: 0.238s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0697s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb