Britain’s health service observed


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Hertfordshire » Hertford
September 21st 2013
Published: September 23rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Sunrise from a bedSunrise from a bedSunrise from a bed

It's great to wake up to a dawn like this. Indeed, it's great to wake up!
Having just endured a short stay in hospital, I thought I’d share my notes on things that occurred to me.

Okay, I know this is TravelBlog and that the UK's National Health Service has nothing to do with journeys around foreign lands - but I did have to travel to the hospital and, as you’ll discover, it could almost have been China, India, Pakistan, the Philippines, Poland or Romania in England’s green and pleasant land!

So, for what it’s worth, here are few of my observations during this enforced time away from home:



Buildings are there for a purpose, be it hotel or hospital.

Hospitals aren’t hotels, but my recent experience says the service in hospitals is actually sometimes better.

It’s the people who make the difference.



The many grades of nurses have different, confusing uniforms.

Are they nurses? Are they registered nurses? Are they sisters? Are they matrons?

Can male nurses be sisters? (Apparently, yes, but they’re called charge nurses).

Whatever, or wherever they’ve come from, they all have infinite patience and skills.

They’re hard-working angels.

How they do it, I’ll never know.

Another day, another dawnAnother day, another dawnAnother day, another dawn

From the same bed!


A heart patient in the bed next to me is embarrassed that his monitor goes ‘Bing' 'Bong’, day and night.

If it stops, it means he’s dead.



Little old ladies with heads bowed wait in wheelchairs for a scan or an x-ray.

Agitated old men with bad haircuts, confused and disorientated, ask silly questions or call out loud for their wives, who are at home.



A woman limps rapidly down a corridor, one shoe on, the other in her hand.



Overweight women wearing fake tans and skinny leggings suffocating immense thighs visit their overweight dad who won’t give up cigarettes.

A woman of a ‘certain age’, with fake designer handbag, yellow hair in bizarre ragged style, bright red lipstick, mascara, frilly white blouse and very short skirt, totters on high heels to visit a loved one who’s fast asleep.



I never realised there were so many obese men and women, patients and visitors alike.

They struggle down long corridors, short legs striding and little arms outstretched trying to keep pace with their huge backsides.



A bushy-bearded man, dressed like a
Water, water, everywhereWater, water, everywhereWater, water, everywhere

I don't think I've ever drunk so much of the stuff!
tramp all in brown, wanders out of the ward.

A smart tea-trolley enters, pushed by a smiling lady with missing teeth.



Cool and comfortable pyjamas are supplied, pale green for men, shocking pink for women.

Some men wear back-to-front theatre gowns that look like backless dresses when they get out of bed. Their bare backs and bums are part of hospital entertainment.



Chubby orderlies from all parts of the globe wear constant smiles.

Ward doctors: there are small Chinese ones; confident Scots ones pursued by timid mouse-like assistants in head-scarves; tall, bearded Pakistani ones; young Indian and Filipino ones; and even an occasional English one.

Romanian junior doctors struggle to keep pace with the doctor they're shadowing and with the unfamiliar paperwork.

Phlebotomists and pharmacists are Polish.

I asked the sister on duty what language I'd overheard her speaking to one of her male colleagues. It was Tagalog.

Large, round-faced Chinese nurses, male and female, seem to be on permanent night shift – perhaps because their English is almost incomprehensible and they won’t have to talk to sleeping patients.

It’s a veritable United Nations when all
Still life at dawnStill life at dawnStill life at dawn

Well, there aren't many bowls of glistening fruit on hospital windowsills are there?
this lot’s on duty at the same time.



One of the friendly Indian male nurses, a rare Punjabi Pentecostal Christian, is praying for me.



The cleaners are employed by G4S.

The same company transports prisoners and provides electronic tagging of offenders.



Bottles of hygienic hand gel sit at the foot of every bed and beside every door.

It’s there to minimise the effects of that hospital curse MRSA – most people choose to use it.



A window near my bed bears a piece of paper with the legend: ‘Do Not Open – Awaiting Repair – 4/10/12’.

They must have heard I was writing this blog because two workmen came to look at it today, 20/9/13.

They took away the piece of paper - then put it back, unchanged, half an hour later.



Some days the food’s great, some days it’s dire.

They forgot to put macaroni in the macaroni and vegetable bake.

The asparagus soup could have been leek and potato - or from a washing-up bowl.

I feared the corned beef and coleslaw salad, but it was
Thank goodness for loved onesThank goodness for loved onesThank goodness for loved ones

...and for a laptop to help take your mind off things.
delicious.

The apricot tart was a mystery pud hidden beneath a morass of thick yellow custard.



Bread and butter’s freely available with meals. Toast isn’t.

The hospital's bedside book specifically states that toasters aren’t allowed to be brought in from home.



If the menu includes an orange, choose a yoghurt instead.

Plastic knives were never intended to peel oranges.



Strawberry yoghurts are grey.



A plastic clock ticks incessantly on the wall above.

Somewhere, there’s a constant, annoying ‘beep’.



Beds are electronically adjustable - up, down, knees up, feet up, head up.

You could sleep like a letter ‘U’ if you wanted.



Like a hotel, bed linen’s changed daily – usually while you’re having yet another pee or turning the washroom into a swimming pool by taking a shower.



Even after my soaring temperature had subsided, the ward was often like a sauna.

The heating’s switched on in September and off in May, come rain, hail, snow or heatwave!

The miserable gent in the opposite corner doesn’t want the windows open. We wait until he goes to sleep!



There’s no Wi-Fi, a real nuisance. Some hospitals have it.

I’ll write – I’d have been happy to pay a reasonable charge.

It caused a nightmare with my emails and eBay selling.

Thanks are due to my wife and friends who dealt with things so well in my absence.



Perhaps we take too much for granted.

It costs billions of pounds a year to run a health service like this.

They try very hard to save your life - for free.

I think that’s terrific value for money!



I usually end my blogs with details of where to stay.

Not this time!





The NHS budget for 2012/13 is around £108 Billion, or £3,000 a second.

Free treatment is for UK residents only, of course. Overseas visitors needing their lives saved, may have to pay!

Advertisement



23rd September 2013

Hospital
Hi Mike, hope you are well and that your hospital stay wasn't too long. Another great blog, maybe you should send this to the PM. Take care hope everyone is well. Love Janet x
23rd September 2013

Travel to a hospital
Sorry to hear that you had to stay in hospital, hope that you are fully recovered. A very interesting read even though it is not directly about travel. FYI, Australian citizens have reciprocal healthcare arrangements in the UK (due to an arrangement between the NHS and Medicare). Thus if UK nationals are in Australia, they can obtain free treatment from Medicare.
23rd September 2013

The blog was tongue-in-cheek
Thanks for the info about the reciprocal arrangements, Shane. Perhaps I should continue treatment in sunny Oz! Yes, you're right: the blog wasn't really about travel, but I had time on my hands and thought a few others here (on my only blog site) might like cheering up too!
23rd September 2013

Get well soon!
Hi little brother, We know you're out now, back home, into the caring hands of Pat, your lovely wife. Thinking of you. Keep smiling and get well soon. David and Janice - The Grey haired nomads.
23rd September 2013

A trip to the hospital is a trip...
and I'm glad to hear that it was a round trip. That "morass of thick yellow custard" must have been Byrd's custard, which I became familiar with when going to school in Malaysia. We have a can in our pantry for old times sake. My son is going to school in Bangor, Wales, and as he will be there more than 6 months is eligible for free health at the NHS. I'm pleased to hear that he will be treated well, if necessary!
24th September 2013

...and a blog is a blog!
Bob, I don't think our NHS could afford Bird's Custard these days! Interesting to hear that your son is in Bangor (Wales) - Bangor University? One of my two granddaughters was born there. My son and his family have only recently moved back from Snowdonia to Hertfordshire.
23rd September 2013

only you could make a hospital visit so amusing!!
Absolutely brilliant Mike.I was in splendid isolation in my private room(courtesy of the NHS) but I think you had more fun people watching on your visit.
24th September 2013

...people watching, with a laptop
I was in pole position facing the entrance to the ward and couldn't avoid observing every to-ing and fro-ing - which was then noted on the laptop! Time moves slowly in hospital doesn't it?!
25th September 2013

Yes, Bangor University...
He should be there attending orientation week, but the British Consulate in Bangkok denied his student visa (wanted original college diploma, not a copy, and a TB test, but rather than asking for them they just denied the visa). So he flew here last Saturday to apply again for another 300 pounds. Maybe that's how they will afford to pay for his health care! Anyway, the university said he could miss up to two weeks of classes and still continue the semester. So there is hope.
25th September 2013

Oh dear...
The British authorities are getting really tough on student entry to the country - we've had a big problem with illegal immigrants posing as students in recent years. There are so many applications that they seem to have adopted the stance of 'read the requirements, fill the form properly and send what's asked for - or be denied entry!' Not good PR, but I know from working at a big uni here that students don't take much notice if you handle them gently! Anyhow, I do hope all ends well. His biggest problem will probably be missing introductions to female students during fresher's week!
11th October 2013

Hi Mike, Hope it was nothing too serious and you're well on your way to recovery. Our Australian public hospital system receives a lot of unfair criticism too, I am sure there are a few cases where mistakes are made and things could of been better, but a majority of the time the staff and facilities are absolutely brilliant and people don't realise how lucky we are. Anyway, hope to see some more travel stories soon.
12th October 2013

Thanks for your good wishes. I can't fault the British NHS either but time in any hospital passes so slowly. Thank goodness for a laptop to make notes of all the comings and goings!
18th October 2013

How are you doing now?
Hi Mike, Have just read your blog about the comings and goings of the hospital. Very observant and amusing as usual! I hope you are feeling better now and that you have fully recovered. Hope all us ex Faculty-types can meet up again some time soon! Rosechick (now a battery hen - you should see the office!) x
20th October 2013

With no telly and no Wi-Fi, I had to smile at some of the things that occurred during my sleepless hours and, while not true TravelBlog material, thought others might find amusement in them too. Still taking the tablets - and keeping smiling!
10th May 2014

I was wondering why I hadn't seen more recent blogs with gorgeous photos from you! Though this isn't specifically about travel, I found your observations fascinating as I've had (due to being accident and illness-prone) many visits to hospitals in different countries and it's always really interesting to compare the differences. It's not fun being bedridden, but the people you are surrounded by really make the experience more bearable! I hope you are doing much much better now and preparing for another trip soon!
11th May 2014

Thanks for your comment, Michelle. Although my illness could have been life-threatening, our good old NHS pulled me through and I'm now well on the way to being human again (I still have a pulse!). No plans for foreign travel this year but watch for some blogs about places in the UK soon. Keep smiling!

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 18; qc: 35; dbt: 0.0321s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb