Normandie & UK Day UPDATE to day 18


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Hampshire » Portsmouth
June 19th 2019
Published: June 19th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Right - not had much time for blogging the last few days, as it's either been long travelling stages, or lots of time with people. But now we're at Port Solent, Portsmouth, with time to kill before our overnight ferry, so here we go.

It was getting on for 11 by the time we rolled out on Sunday, after lots of packing up, stowing away, and swapping back of borrowed kit. (as far as we know, we DID succeed in getting back all our own stuff, and nothing of anyone else's!)

The rest of the morning the weather was grim, all the way up the M5 and M42, but started to clear a bit on the M6, so that the long A14 stretch was in really nice weather! Still, a long journey, right across to Wrentham, on the far side of the country.

Eventually arrived at the campsite, where Liz's niece Julie picked us up for our visit to the carvery at Oulton Broad. All thoroughly enjoyed the meal (except her hubby David, who broke a tooth on some gammon crackling!). Then back to theirs for dessert of strawberries and cream, before they dropped us back at the campsite for a very peaceful (and much-needed) night's sleep.

1489 km, so 460 that day!

Next day, Monday 17th, was for shopping en route to Burnham. First to the caravan shop at Farsham on the A12, where we were finally able to get a replacement tap which (with a bit of tinkering) SHOULD fit. Also a new mat for the shower. Discovered at the checkout that our credit card was too close to its limit, so changed over to UK debit card rather than using our French account (which would have meant changing Euros back to pounds). Next, Braintree Garden Centre for lunch, where we also spotted a reclining chair of exactly the sort Liz wanted in the van, for a very good price. Finally, over the road to Freeport, for shoes for Liz, plus a couple of kitchen bits.

Arrived at Burnham site mid afternoon, with the km now reading 1647 (so 158 that day). Walked round to see Sarah and Beenie, who Liz used to work with, then later met Pete for a meal at the Ship.

Tuesday was our main day in town. Graeme knocked on the door just when we were about to set out, so we walked up to the market together. Liz bought a pair of crops, made in France, for much less than they cost at home! Then we all settled down outside a café with coffees, while a number of people stopped by to say hello! Took a baguette and some corned beef back to the van for lunch. In the afternoon, another stroll into town to meet Doreen for a cuppa at a new café. Then in the evening, a gathering at Sarah Lornie's with some of the people from the church. All in all, a very effective "catching up" day with lots of people.

And so, on the road again this morning. Stopped off for cheap gas at Latchingdon, and for diesel at Asda (cheaper than in France!). Lunch at Pret, in Clackett Lane Services, and finally arrived here. Lots of shops, cafés and restaurants here at Port Solent, we've settled on the Harvester for tonight before we drive round to the ferry port.

1860 km now, so 213 today (plus a bit later on for the ferry).

Advertisement



Tot: 0.237s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0562s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb